Author Topic: Elect. Stim  (Read 1849 times)

JLR

Elect. Stim
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:23:10 am »
Hi all, I'm having acupuncture for my facial paralysis.  I'm not sure if it's working but I am getting feeling in my face. Is it the treatments or are nerves finally waking up but my eye seems to want to close. Seems weaker. Has anyone tried electric stimulation for the face. I'm a little hesitate to try. Afraid might worsen face. Advice please. Thank you. Joan

ANSydney

Re: Elect. Stim
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:58:53 pm »
I can't see acupunture or electrical stimulation doing any hard of adverse effects (check with doctors).

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »
Joan,
I forget how far you are from surgery but I was told not to have elec stim early on. It can cause the nerves to repair incorrectly leading to synkinesis. If the amount given at a time is adjustable perhaps you could try very mild stimulation and see how it feels. I had a very mild treatment about 2 years out but didn’t really notice anything and was afraid to have any more.

I would ask your doctor and just see what he says. He probably won’t advise it though. I don’t know about the acupuncture,, it probably can’t hurt and may help. I’ve been too afraid of that as I can’t imagine the needles in my face.  ::). I’ve had it elsewhere.

Good luck ,, it does take patience with facial nerve and muscles,,, if your eye seems to be getting weaker you may want to back off any treatments for a while,, just my opinion,,

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

JLR

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:06:58 am »
Hi Jane, thanks for your thoughtful response. Yes I'm taking 2 weeks off from acupuncture to give my face a rest. The needles in my face cause zero pain but the needles in my legs do for a few seconds. I just don't know how well it's working but I must say I do have more and more feelings on my face. And my chin is tingling. Who knows maybe it's the 1 year timeline.  I had retrosig November 2016. I must say I researched my surgery thoroughly EXCEPT info on the facial nerve. Because my doctor promised e would try to avoid that. And he thought he had. But 4-5 days later the paralysis appeared. Have a great day and thanks again for your help. Joan