Author Topic: Post Surgical Seizure  (Read 2647 times)

OllieO

Post Surgical Seizure
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:35 pm »
I had my translab surgery for my AN about 2 weeks ago. I've completed the post-op steroids for inflammation and the the oxycotin. This afternoon i became seriously disoriented and lost my ability to articulate any coherent thought. Then I woke up in the ambulance with a fractured arm and some confusion. Is this a common AN surgical side effect? They did a CT scan and found nothing abnormal and told me to call my surgical team at UAB. Curious to know anyone else has experienced this or if this common.

alabamajane

Re: Post Surgical Seizure
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:48:44 pm »
OllieO
So sorry to hear about this. I don't remember reading about anyone posting about this situation,  I would not think it is a common see effect of surgery,,,,, I had seizures before surgery but not after.

You had posted elsewhere about significant headaches lately. I would agree that you need to call your neurosurgeon ASAP in the morning. He needs to know about all of this. Be sure the staff answering your call know how important it is that you get through to him or his P A early,,,

Good luck,, I hope you do alright this evening,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

OllieO

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:36:06 am »
Thanks so much. Ironically the headaches have improved in 24hrs... but that May be due too the broken arm. Either way I plan on calling them today.

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:31 am »
Bless your heart!
Let me know what Dr says,,, glad headache seems to be better though,,, it's a rough journey sometimes,,, you certainly didn't need to add a broken arm,, so sorry!!  :-\
translab Oct 27, 2011

OllieO

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:31:18 pm »
So I saw both the neurosurgeon and the ent surgeon today. The basic assessment I got was that my brain was just overstressed from the surgery and the receding swelling (I had an abnormal amount of post surgical swelling). But they also said it could be something more serious. So I have to stay on anti seizure medication and follow up with them in a month where I should receive more MRIs and CTs to make sure the fluid buildup is normalizing and there is no seizure activity...until then I can't work or drive legally  ::)

Patti

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 07:41:32 am »
I had a grand mal seizure while still in the hospital right when the doctor was in my room thank god.  i also had brain swelling.  i was on meds for 6 months and they finally weaned me off and i have never had one again.
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:50:36 am »
Thanks for the update,,sorry you are “ grounded “ for the month,, that’s hard I know! But look at it this way,, you can relax and heal for a month  ;),,,

I hope you have not had another seizure and don’t,, try not to worry to much about it being something worse as it may have just been  a one time incident,,, of course, I’m not a doctor so that’s just my 2 cents,,

Wishing you better health,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

OllieO

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 07:45:20 pm »
Even though it's an awful experience, knowing at least one other person who had surgery also had a seizure gives me some peace of mind. The Doc's reaction to the swelling and the later seizure just freaked me out so much. Hopefully I can relax and recover, but the seizure has my employer, the Air Force, freaked out. So now I have to travel 6 hours Monday just to talk to them  ::)