Author Topic: DR. McRacken and DR. Vandergrift Medical University South Carolina  (Read 5093 times)

jaygarbus

My doctors ENT DR. McRacken Medical University South Carolina (MUSC) is my doctor when I was diagnosed with a 1.5cm Acoustic Neuroma in the right ear and was a wait to see what happens. After a year it grew to 2.5cm. I was constantly dizzy and my hearing was about 10% of what I should be hearing. DR. McRacken stated since the tumor was now pressing against my brain stem it need to come out and I would lose all hearing in the right ear. He referred me to DR. Vandergrift (MUSC) who would remove the tumor and DR. McRacken would perform the rest of the surgery.

The surgery took about 8 hours to remove the tumor. I was sable to leave the Hospital in 4 days. I have no facial droop or right eye lid not closing. My taste came back in a week and could walk after one day. I had Physical Therapy for 3 weeks and went back to work in 4 weeks.

I had a remarkable recovery with the help of the medical team from MUSC. They knew what they were doing and explained how the stages of recovery would go. They were surprised how fast I was recovering and was ahead of the recovery path.

I would highly recommend this medical team and MUSC if you are thinking of a doctor or hospital to treat your tumor.

alabamajane

Re: DR. McRacken and DR. Vandergrift Medical University South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:03:09 am »
Congratulations on a successful surgery and recovery. And thank you for posting your experiences.
It is always helpful to hear someone's personal journey especially from a different part of the country than usual. I don't believe I have read many people who have used your team and facility.

Thanks again. Wishes for continued good health,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

kestes

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 01:13:14 pm »
Hi i was just diagnosed yesterday with AN about 12mm and was given  a referral for McRacken or Lambert at MUSC as i live in south carolina.  And was glad i found your post. Hopefully i will get the referral
Next week and will see one of the two soon. I appreciate you posting recent information. What made you choose surgery over Gamma Knife?  I have 10% hearing loss, balance issues, tinnunitis and a stuffy head feeling along with vertigo and that sent me to the doctor, then mri, then they found the tumor. Is there any other info you can given or questions i should ask the drs or anything else from your MUSC experience or anything in general you might think is helpful. Looks like you have had great success and outcomes. Congrats! I truly appreciate it!
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
14mm at 6 mo MRI Aug 2018
tinnitus, high pitch hearing loss, balance issues
GK at UVA Dr Jason Sheehan Nov 2, 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:11:21 pm »
Dr. McCracken did our March webinar- if you are an ANA member you can view in our Memeber Section. If you are not, contact info@anausa.org for a free temporary membership and patient kit!

kestes

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:42:03 pm »
Thank you and i will sure check this out! 
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina

kestes

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:27:07 am »
JAY, what type of surgery did you end up having?  I met with McRacken and he suggested best course was Middle Fossa approach, because I do have some hearing left, although it would sacrifice my vestibular nerve.  If you don't mind, please let me know what type of surgery you had.  Thanks!  Kimberly
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
Columbia, South Carolina