Author Topic: FSRS  (Read 2631 times)

Carolgre

FSRS
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:34:09 pm »
Has anyone here had Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery? I'll be having it sometime before the end of this year. I know it involves a facial mask, not the dreaded head frame but I'm still a little nervous about what the actual procedure is like.

JLR

Re: FSRS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »
Hi 6 years before my surgery I had Cyber Knife. The mask is the same as your fractionated radiation. My friend had this done last summer and she said the mask was the same as mine. To create the mask they place a wet netting over your face which dries to a mold of your face. There is an opening for your nose. It's a webbing so it has tiny squares of openings. Once your on the table the tech will place mask on your face/head it clips to the table to keep your head from moving. There's no pain, no pins, just a mask.  Your lying on a table do there's no tube like an MRI. It's actually quite simple. Just close your eyes and listen to the music.  Hope this info helped. Best Regards, Joan

Carolgre

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:29:19 am »
Yes, thank you, Joan. You have been a tremendous help to me with your uplifting and encouraging messages. Now I just have to wait for authorization from my insurance company regarding the Stereotactic Protocol MRI, and meeting with the radiation oncologist on Oct. 17th. I was told that they don't apply for approval for the actual procedure until the date is set. I'm a little nervous because I just had an MRI in July and Empire might balk about me having another one so soon, but I was told by Annett that this upcoming MRI is a prelude to the FSRS so they don't foresee any problem. I'll rest easier though when I get the actual authorization. Carol

JLR

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 02:00:50 pm »
Hi Carol, No worries Empire should cover. That MRI is needed to map out the radiation.  When I had CK Empire took care of all.  I was a little anxious because it took a couple of weeks to get authorization but it worked out fine. Have a good weekend! The weather is lovely! Joan

Carolgre

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:13:02 am »
Hi, Joan:

Well, I was told by Cameile, Dr. Pannullo's surgical coordinator, that the request for authorization has been initiated. If there is any delay, I'll just have to reschedule that MRI and meeting with Dr. Knisely. I'm sort of torn in two directions right now: I want the procedure over and done with, and yet I do wonder what the side effects might be. Dr. Pannullo has been incredibly reassuring, saying that she is risk averse too and will make sure I'm at peace with my decision before any radiation treatment is started.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:37:54 am »
It's the only real "fun-part" of this ordeal and you get better over time.  This AN experience isn't honored by the Big Gov as it should be; it's difficult to get any help financially, if at all.  (and we are supposed to keep working since we basically appear to have no real problems---most of the more lucky people that is)  Cyber-knife was very successful for myself of which, I'm most grateful.  Where would you have it?
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Carolgre

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:01:09 am »
N.Y. Presbyterian/Weill Cornell here in New York. I have a meningioma, not an AN but I joined this discussion group because I needed advice and did not then know of any meningioma discussion groups. My radiosurgeon said she's had no trouble getting approval from my insurance company in the past so I'm just keeping my finger crossed.