Author Topic: Motorcycles Post-Op  (Read 2897 times)

gunns

Motorcycles Post-Op
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:44:01 pm »
Had surgery (retrosig) July 25th 2017 and I'm doing well.  I'm SSD on my AN side (left).  All facial nerve issues have cleared up.  My face was sagging just a bit, my left eye wouldn't close while sleeping nor could I blink it shut.  I also had what was suspected to be a CSF leak which has also stopped.  So at this point the main issue for me is balance.

I'm very active even for a 30 yr old but I'm 69 and have been riding motorcycles, street and dirt, for over 50 years.  Nothing turns a bad day into a great day like going for a ride on my Indian with my wife.  It would also be nice to get back to hiking and backpacking the Sierras again. I'm almost two months post-op now and I'm back into my weight training exercising, walking 2.5 to 3 miles a day working on our property 10 to 14 hours non stop one day a week.  I'm doing all of this in hopes of reprogramming my brain to do more with less.  The balance nerves on the left were severed in order to get the tumor out.

I'm interested in hearing from those of you who ride.  What seemed to work best for you to get you back to riding safely again?  What were your stumbling blocks?  My plan is to  drag out my mountain bicycle and ride it for a while.  If that goes well I'll move up to my dirt bike.  If that works out then and only then will I climb back on my Indian.  I won't ride two-up with my wife until I have considerable miles and time riding solo.

Your advice is appreciated!

PaulW

Re: Motorcycles Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:30:41 pm »
Wow I think you are doing it the wrong way round...
If you survive the bumpiness and unpredictability of a bicycle, the Indian could be easy....

My Balance is pretty good these days. Road bike is the easiest for me, followed by the dirt bike...
Mountain biking remains the most challenging, especially going over rough stony ground for lengths of time.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

CompassGeorge

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:24:32 pm »
Gunnar, It's been a long time since I've been on a motorcycle. I don't remember how important one's hearing might be in knowing what's going on around you. I think starting off on a bicycle is a good idea and I may try that myself this week but it will be on a flat smooth surface. Good luck!

gunns

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:59:58 pm »
Wow I think you are doing it the wrong way round...
If you survive the bumpiness and unpredictability of a bicycle, the Indian could be easy....

My Balance is pretty good these days. Road bike is the easiest for me, followed by the dirt bike...
Mountain biking remains the most challenging, especially going over rough stony ground for lengths of time.

Ah...no.  I won't be going off road with the mountain bike.  I'll be staying on the pavement.  Ideally deserted parking lots.  I'll imagine a sort of visual obstacle course in a empty parking lot with a lot of head checking over my shoulders - right and left.  The same motion that has kept me safe for over half a century of street motorcycle riding.  I seem to have more balance problems looking over my left (AN side) shoulder.  I'll be doing the same thing with my dirt bike after I feel comfortable on the bicycle.  But you are right about the off road aspect.  I use a three wheeler on our property while doing chores.  I'm quite comfortable on the three wheeler and our property is bumpy and hilly.  I didn't have any problems with the up and down motions.  Because I was on a three wheeler I didn't have to worry about the balance issue.  So... on the second week post-op, while doing chores, I tried putting  the three wheeler up on two wheels (front and one back wheel) like I use to do and didn't have any problems so things are looking promising.  I spent the day working on my Indian and I can't wait to hit the road.

My hat's off to you for your going off road on your bike.  There's a lot going on while mountain biking.  Uneven terrain and constant obstacles to maneuver around while peddling your way through it and all this going on at the same time.

gunns

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:09:33 pm »
Gunnar, It's been a long time since I've been on a motorcycle. I don't remember how important one's hearing might be in knowing what's going on around you. I think starting off on a bicycle is a good idea and I may try that myself this week but it will be on a flat smooth surface. Good luck!

I agree with you about the flat smooth surface.  For me it's deserted parking lots.  As you know it's critical to have your head constantly on a swivel.  I try to think of having a bulls eye on each shoulder and front and back and that everyone gets points for nailing me.  I don't trust other drivers to do the obvious things.  Let me know how you do on your bike.

CompassGeorge

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:03:48 pm »
Gunns, My daughter and I took our bikes down to Huntington/Newport Beach today and rode on the smooth, level bike paths there. Surprisingly, I didn't experience any significant balance issues although I doubt we ever exceeded 10 or 15 mph. However, the problem I did have was with my eye- the left one impacted by the facial "weakness". I expected this and wore my eye cup instead of sunglasses but ocean breeze on my eye was still uncomfortable but not intolerable. The Systane Ultra lubricant eye-drops really have helped me.
I hope your experience on the bike goes well- based on what I've heard about you I think it will. George.

surfagain

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »
Gunns,

We are fortunate to be concerned with things like MC riding.  I had a 4.3 removed just about a year and a half ago and am doing pretty well.  I am surfing again!

I ride a Dyna.  My experience has been good so far. 
Concerns:
I don't do well with balance in the dark, so I try not to get caught riding at night. I'm not sure how that would work out.
I do pretty good with balance until something causes me to be off balance. Then, I have a difficult time recovering it.
Hearing is definitely a safety issue although it hasn't caught me by surprise on a bike- plenty of times off the bike.  I have had some close calls while walking in parking lots.  Once I almost got clipped. because of this knowledge, I try to ride in rural areas and stay out of intersections. 

I started almost immediately riding a bike on the flat.  Once I got comfortable, I got to the MC on 45 MPH roads. 

Try to be patient. Your balance will improve with time and there is not much sense in putting yourself in harms way too soon.  Work on single leg balancing and squats.

Please let me know how it goes.

gunns

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 03:37:56 pm »
Gunns, My daughter and I took our bikes down to Huntington/Newport Beach today and rode on the smooth, level bike paths there. Surprisingly, I didn't experience any significant balance issues although I doubt we ever exceeded 10 or 15 mph. However, the problem I did have was with my eye- the left one impacted by the facial "weakness". I expected this and wore my eye cup instead of sunglasses but ocean breeze on my eye was still uncomfortable but not intolerable. The Systane Ultra lubricant eye-drops really have helped me.
I hope your experience on the bike goes well- based on what I've heard about you I think it will. George.

That's great George!  And to be sharing it with your daughter is an added bonus.. In the end Family is everything.  My trip to Seattle with my daughter on the back of my Indian was a memory of a life time.. Wouldn't trade it for anything.  I'm glad the eye drops are working.  As I stated earlier my eye issue (not being able to close it) has cleared up.  But now I have problems getting it to open up in the morning.  Go figure!  LOL!  It feels like it is almost glued shut.  It takes a little effort to open.  Other than that it feels fine.

I'm going to give the bicycle thing a couple more weeks.  We were down at the American Legion Post this morning to serve breakfast.  At the start I was doing pretty good but after a couple of hours I really began having a lot of difficulty with Wonky Headedness.  It was the worst its ever been and I'm two months plus post-op.  It didn't take much to set it off and it was almost constant.  My concern is everything may be fine on a M/C ride out to a destination but having trouble, like today, on the return home.  I'm just going to have to take it slower than I thought I'd have to.  I keep reminding myself - Baby Steps - but its just not in my personality but I'll have to change that!

Please keep me posted on how you're doing.  I've made you my test platform!  LOL!

Gunnar

gunns

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 03:50:57 pm »
Gunns,

We are fortunate to be concerned with things like MC riding.  I had a 4.3 removed just about a year and a half ago and am doing pretty well.  I am surfing again!

I ride a Dyna.  My experience has been good so far. 
Concerns:
I don't do well with balance in the dark, so I try not to get caught riding at night. I'm not sure how that would work out.
I do pretty good with balance until something causes me to be off balance. Then, I have a difficult time recovering it.
Hearing is definitely a safety issue although it hasn't caught me by surprise on a bike- plenty of times off the bike.  I have had some close calls while walking in parking lots.  Once I almost got clipped. because of this knowledge, I try to ride in rural areas and stay out of intersections. 

I started almost immediately riding a bike on the flat.  Once I got comfortable, I got to the MC on 45 MPH roads. 

Try to be patient. Your balance will improve with time and there is not much sense in putting yourself in harms way too soon.  Work on single leg balancing and squats.

Please let me know how it goes.

I know what you mean about parking lot hazards and being jostled by others.  We went for a walk the other day at the harbor and someone came right up behind me with their dog.  The dog made slight contact with me but it sent me all a-kilter.  Darn near did a face plant on the sidewalk.  This Wonkey Head stuff is hard to take after spending eight years in martial arts and fine tuning your balance.

Today has been the worst and I'm two months plus post-op.  It was almost constant.  Consequently I'll be taking it slower than I'd planned.  Based on your screen name I gather you surf.  If so, have you gotten back on your board?  Mine is still hanging from the ceiling of our garage.  With having four major back surgeries and the Wonkey Headedness I hate to think it'll be staying there.  Getting old STINKS!

This AN has caused me to look at being patient in a whole new light - DARN.  As you requested, I'll keep you posted on my progress and would you please do the same?

Gunnar