Author Topic: Having the headframe fitted  (Read 2477 times)

Carolgre

Having the headframe fitted
« on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:07 am »
Well, it looks like I'll wind up having Gamma knife, either at NYU Langone or a N.Y. Presbytarian. I'm waiting for an appointment to get a second opinion right now and it looks like I may be able to get it next week. Yes, I am concerned about possible side effects from the radiation and, I may sound like a baby, I'm a little worried about how painful it will be to have the headframe fitted. I've read messages on various message boards that say either it's  a walk in the park or as someone said it felt like her head was exploding. I just want some idea of what to expect.

rupert

Re: Having the headframe fitted
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:07:47 pm »
There shouldn't be pain or even discomfort.  If you feel anything let them know.  They will take care of it immediately.

Carolgre

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:05:55 pm »
Well, I meant when they screw the bolts into your skull. I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people who went through it and they admitted that that part WAS painful; one woman saying it was the worst pain she'd ever had and she was whimpering during the procedure. I know that when the head frame is in place, there's no discomfort; a little claustrophobia maybe, but not serious discomfort.

rupert

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:24 pm »
I'm sure you're aware but, maybe not.  They don't screw anything into your skull.  The screws are in the frame and those screws push the pins. The pins do pierce the skin but, just touch the skull.  They numb all the pin sights and then hit them with novacaine.   I can't tell you how concerned they are about your comfort.  I know they asked me a hundred times if I felt any pain or discomfort.  My team  absolutely went out of their way to make sure it was painless.  Good luck to you and.......I'd stay off you tube. LOL
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:34:01 pm by rupert »

Carolgre

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:05:57 am »
Where did you have yours done, Rupert? Was it here in New York? Yes, sometimes reading, or watching, too much about a procedure can make fears worse, not better.

rupert

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:54:39 pm »
I had  GK at UPMC in Pittsburgh with Dr. Konziolka.  I believe he is in NY now, NYU possibly.  While Dr. K is absolutely first class remember it's a team effort.  There are lots of people involved and I believe the UPMC team are the best.  They have done the most GK procedures and are considered the platinum standard for GK in the US.  I'm 8 years out from the procedure.  Everything is well

Carolgre

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:57:39 am »
Did you have any side effects from the GK? I'm just afraid I might wind up with deficits I didn't have before the procedure. They're telling me I will lose all hearing in my bad ear, and possibly have balance problems, trouble swallowing and/or vision problems. Does the GK actually kill and eventually shrink the tumor? Couldn't it just "anger" it and make it flare up even worse?