Author Topic: Gammaknife here I come  (Read 10968 times)

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
Gammaknife here I come
« on: November 13, 2006, 08:07:14 pm »
I have been scheduled for Gammaknife treatment December 12, 2006 @ UAB Birmingham around 5:00 am. I am looking forward to getting this over with.
Sam ;D
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Gammaknife here I come
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:15:31 am »
It will soon be over with and you will be on the road to recovery!! Hooray.   :D

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:45:05 pm »
Sam,

best wishes... here's wishing you the best with your upcoming treatment.  Will be great to start the new year off as a "postie" (post-treatment!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

BusyBonnie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:32:01 pm »
Great news Sam! I decided on GK also and will hopefully be scheduled early December as well! Good luck to both of us on killing the little suckers.

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

Sam

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 07:43:08 pm »
Thanks, this has really been a stressful thing for me , and my whole family, and  I really mean unusually stressful. I have adapted to a Extremely stressful environment especially with my job. I am a religious person, and that has been 100% of my foundation during this situation, I do believe in the saying "What does not kill me, only makes me stronger". I do plan to come out of this a better man than I was before my diagnosis in all aspects of my life. I wish all here the very best in whatever you are faced with dealing with AN's.
The hardest part of this for anyone in not the diagonosis, or treatment. It is the part of making the decision on what to do, that is the major thing I have had to face with this.

Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Sam

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:45:59 pm »
Hi Bruce,
You are 100% right, This is great! God never brings his people around a Storm, God Always brings us THROUGH the Storm. And We usually are stronger,and better than before.
By the way I had a conversation with a retired RN from Emory, and told her about you, She said they would take care of you there. Apparently they are very good there. She told me my decision with UAB-Kirkland Clinic was a good choice too.

Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Sam

Re: Gammaknife here I come( FOLLOW-UP)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 02:17:32 pm »
I had to get up at 1:30 am this morning to travel to Healthsouth/Highlands UAB Gammaknife for my treatment, and I would have to say I am very impressed with the staff there. I went in and given my IV at approx. 6:15 am. and was immediatly given a steroid through the IV, which burned in some personal areas for about 15 seconds. I was then taken to have my headframe placed at approx. 6:50 am.(I never knew exactly HOW FAST Demorol worked until today). I was taken into and given a Contrast MRI. I was taken from there back to my room, where I rested for about 1 hour. at approx. 8:55 am I was wheeled into the chamber with the Gammaknife, and placed on the "couch". My total time in the Gammaknife = 26.3 minutes. I was then wheeled out to the frame fitting room where the headframe was removed, and I was bandaged up, and released. I did experience the pinholes bleeding approx. 30 min.. after leaving the hospital, but the Dr. said that would happen.
Note: the Dr. informed me that my tumor was a little smaller than the original MRI scan back in Sept. But she did not elaborate on the size this time.
So far, it has been a pleasent experience under the circumstances. I know I am just a few hours out, but SO FAR SO GOOD, other than the pain from the pins.
Thanks for all of the Info from you.

Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Derek

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 05:35:58 pm »
Hi Sam...

Glad to hear that your GK treatment went so well. Very best wishes for a successful long term outcome.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:12 pm »
Congrats Postie Sam! Now on the road to tumor death and wellness!

Congrats to you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sam

Re: Gammaknife here I come (follow-up)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 08:49:55 pm »
Thanks all, I go for my follow up in 1 month. Dr. Guthrie is going to set me up for a 1 month,3 month, 6 month, and 1 year follow up.
something was said about after that doing a 1 year for a few years, and then later stepping up to every 2 years.
Yeah, I might be a postie, but I'm still here for the pre-ops. to help during thier time. After what I experienced, I would recommend Gammaknife to anyone. My wife began telling me things I done during the course of this morning that I do not remember, but then again, blame it on demorol. What I do remember was in no way a horror story.
There was a lady that was being treated at the same time as me, I do not know what her situation was, but I do know she was crying, and my heart went out to her, and if possible I wish I could have taken those tears away. I know her husband was there for her, but I do have a compassion for people in pain, or  those who are scared, but then again AN is a scary thing.

Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

BusyBonnie

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 12:02:14 am »
Sam,

your words are very encouraging. San Diego Gamma Knife Center just called me today and I am scheduled for Dec. 27th! I'm so glad to hear yours went well and I just know that little bugger will die and mine too! Please keep us posted on how your doing and I am glad the tough part is over for you.

Lana
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:05:45 am by BusyBonnie »
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

Sam

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 08:47:19 am »
Lana,
For me the only bad part of the whole treatment was the placement of the headframe, but thanks to the demorol, I do not remember a whole lot about that, except for the tramendous pressure that lasted for about 30 seconds. I was litterally laughing and cutting up with the nurses, doctors, and my wife throughout my treatment. If I had to go back this morning to do it all over again, I WOULD! It was not that bad. Congradulations on your appointment, You will do great! Keep Your Husband and family in good spirits, that is a key factor, because they will help this go by smoother. If there is anything I can do, do not hesitate to ask.

Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Dealy

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 11:46:48 am »
sAM. i hesitate to mention my religion on this site because everyone has their own way of coping. With that said-I could not get through my ordeal without it. I am of the same sentiments. It scares you but then again I believe in the adage that everything is brought to us for a reason-we just do not know it-and if we did-we just may change our mind. Well enough on that. Good luck-to you- you also will be in my prayers. Ron

Sam

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 12:25:12 pm »
Thanks Ron, without God I would be nothing, and he has been my strength through ALL of this, and I praise God  for bringing me to and Through this. During my treatment under all of the stress, I stopped long enough to pray, and thank God for his gracousness and for being there with me holding my hand in my time of trouble. we should never hesitate to mention our faith, because we are lights unto the rest of the world. for some we bring hope, assurance, and knowledge that there is more to this life than just being born,having a little fun, a few bad times, and ultimatly, dying.
                         UAB Gammaknife

opalon

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 09:23:09 am »
  i too trust in God , but your faith is superstrong: your words are very encoraging for everyone , tkanks! :).
GENERAL PRACTITIONER