Author Topic: surgery  (Read 9711 times)

Leslie

Re: surgery
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 11:55:39 am »
Hi all,
First of all, thanks again for all the replies- always helpful to get different perspectives.  Well I went for my appointment yesterday at UCSF to speak to the Otorangologist? surgeon.  He told me due to the size and location of my AN,  that he would strongly suggest having Translab surgery, which is kind of what i had been preparing for anyhow.  I am going to send a CD of my MRI along with my report to House for a second opinion.  But if they confirm what he is saying- then looks like surgery in February or March.  There was some other issues on my report that i had questions about- that he didnt have the answer to so he said i should consult with the neourosurgeon about.  He is going to set me up with a consultation with him as well.
I still have mixed feelings about the whole thing, like I am expecting to get a phone call saying that I was misdiagnosed, and I just have an inner ear infection.  As i have said before, i am dizzy alot, like i had a few glasses of wine, some numbness on the left side of my face, and hearing loss,  which actually gets better some days...some days its 80% and some days its only 5%-  But other than that I feel pretty good.(oh- and tired alot too.)  I go to work everyday- and no-one has a clue-so it just seems wierd that i would be getting ready to have major surgery.
Well,  the comforting thing is that he seemed like a very nice and knowledgeable Dr., and pretty much confirmed everything that i have read up on this sight- it was helpful going to him with all the knowledge i have received from reading the posts.
Well, hope everyone has a good day....i am going to review some of the translab posts again, then send off my CD to House.
Leslie

kristin

Re: surgery
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 05:19:56 pm »
i had middle fossa surgery and they did take some abdomen fat. it was right at the waist band and actually hurt more than the incision of my head!

i was bummed when the nurse started shaving my head. they took off quite a bit and a lot more than i thought they were going to take. but no worries. cool thing about hair is...it grows!

kristin in montana
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33