Author Topic: Compensating for Single Sided Deafness- psuedo stereo  (Read 4620 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Compensating for Single Sided Deafness- psuedo stereo
« on: December 01, 2006, 04:27:47 pm »
  As time has progressed after surgery, which took the rest of my already compromised (-70db) hearing in my left ear, I'm finding that my brain seems to be finding ways to compensate so that I can tell what direction sounds come from.  I can't do this consistently, but as time goes on I'm getting better at it.  I though I would start this thread to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
  I can sometimes tell what direction sounds come from, probably by clues my mind is getting from the small differences in sounds as my head moves in relation to the sound's source direction.  As you face away from a sound's source direction, the sound is reduced in volume, with high freguencies being more affected than low freguencies.  Imediately post-op, sound was pretty monoral, with my mind's sound imaging being decidedly unidirectional.  My sound imaging is now much more stereo-like, a kind of psuedo stereo that the mind is creating.  Anyone else finding that to be true.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Boppie

Re: Compensating for Single Sided Deafness- psuedo stereo
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:27:05 pm »
Rob, This is a good topic...

I am enjoying music from the bass side of my speakers more and more.  Early post op the bass annoyed me and overpowered the treble pitches.  I turned the bass side off. 

Recently, I have noticed more listening and direction finding (if this is what I can call it) since I got my hearing aid.  When the aid is on my head I have lots of directional input information, but it is not yet obvious to me where every sound comes from.  But when the aid is off my head I still seem to continue to have better direction skill.  It sounds odd and even more difficult to express in words.  I think I am learning something new, and perhaps I am keyed into what you are experiencing too.

I am interested to hear  ;D other comments on this. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:29:11 pm by Boppie »

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:33:03 pm »
Interesting because I am the opposite!  I found the first few months post-op I didn't have any hearing issues (SSD on the right, normal left) but as time goes on I have more and more trouble.  My left hearing is okay (I just had it tested) but location and background noise are two big issues for me...

I wonder why I am getting worse?

I am really thinking seriously about the transear!

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 08:24:54 pm »
Amy, the background noise is still there for me. I am a bit more able to sort it out at one year post op especially with the help of a hearing aid. 

I did a painful amount of head swiveling and was very frustrated by it until just recently.  I am getting new information on "side finding".   ;D  This sounds like a pun on depth finding on a river boat.  ;D

Your comment on "getting worse" interests me.  I have wondered if the brain forgets something about hearing when it is left "out-of-order" for too long.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:27:45 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 08:34:12 pm »
Rob, The TransEar guy said some of their users report an ability to identify direction with their aids.  So maybe the brain can adapt and arrange sound images spatially!  I am not sure I have the hang of this skill, but I am open to the idea!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:50:17 pm by Boppie »

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 08:46:15 pm »
Shortly after surgery I didn't really  notice any hearing problems even though I was now deaf on one side. I think the reason for that was because I was too busy focusing on my balance, eye issues, and facial paralysis and numbness.  Now that the balance is pretty good, I've found ways to deal with the eye issues and my facial is partially coming back I notice the hearing more. 
I am in the beginning stages of getting a transear.  If I couple that with my current ability to visually locate most sounds I should be doing fairly well.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD