Author Topic: BAHA Implant Fell Out!  (Read 5210 times)

jma042217

BAHA Implant Fell Out!
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:30:05 am »
HELP!  My mom had a BAHA put in almost exactly 4 years ago.  When she was in the shower yesterday, it completely fell out!  All parts of it!  Has anyone had this happen?  I can't find any information on the internet about the happening and/or why it would happen.  The doctor wanted to see her immediately and acted very surprised to learn that the entire thing fell out, leaving my mom with a hole in her head.   I'm trying to find out if this could be due to bone density loss, surgical failure, if her body is rejecting the device...etc.?
I don't exactly want her to have the surgery again, but she's already re-scheduled it for September 15.   She cannot stand not hearing, so she's willing to go through just about anything. 

Please help!

Thank you! 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:49:46 am by jma042217 »

alabamajane

Re: BAHA Implant Fell Out!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »
Hi,
I'm so sorry to hear about this and your evident anxiety,, I would definitely listen to the doctor though who implanted it. Seems like he would want her to come in sooner than surgery to look at the situation,,,??

I have one too for the last 3 years but  I have never had any issues with it being loose.

Do you think maybe it's just the outer " connector"  and not the post that is in the bone that fell off ??  She would still have the hole but the actual post would still be in the bone and she might not be able to tell it. The outer connector screws onto the implanted post as I understand it.

Anyway,, the doctor is probably the only one who can tell and rectify it. Good luck,, I would think it would be best to keep the area dry and clean to avoid infection.

Let us know how she does,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Kristena

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:16:41 am »
I am so sorry to hear about your mother's BAHA. I had issues with healing, and my site was "exposed" for awhile too. But definitely some of the most stressful times I can recall! They were rather nonchalant about mine too. "It just needs time to heal and will close on its own" (it didn't). I would think they would want to examine the area and stitch it closed as soon as possible? Or examine the area and provide some antibiotics and gauze? Or examine the area and...anything. I would try to get in with the doctor for a quick look sooner if possible.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Vogstar55

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 01:42:55 pm »
I'm not new- I joined 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with a large AN after almost five years of misdiagnosis. I had a BAHA implant in 2010. I recently coached a new recipient for a BAHA. She had the surgery which she said only took 10 minutes (red flags went up for me). Her cap and full device fell out. I question how that's possible when the implant is literally screwed down into the skull bone. I have had my abutment replaced for the longer size while sitting "in the chair" with no pain killer and inflammation. My husband watched the procedure on the screen. The original abutment literally had to be unscrewed from the implant in my skull with a tiny torque wrench. You could have lifted a car with the strength of that connection. There is no way my implant could fall out without cracking my skull bone. I question the 10 minute surgery and the quality of the connection. What do other experienced BAHA club members think?

Naisaki

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:39:59 am »
Very pleased to meet the good information I was looking for.