Author Topic: Amazing Story ...  (Read 7674 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Amazing Story ...
« on: November 13, 2006, 08:38:53 am »
If you haven't seen the story of d*** Hoyt & his special needs son, please see below. It's an awesome motivating story. One of the most moving things I've ever seen. The link will take you to thew story and on the bottom is a short music video about it. Great stuff.

http://www.patient-network.com/blog/view/?ID=43

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Amazing Story ...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:55:44 am »
Scott... OMG, thank you!  I've been following Richard (the name he goes by won't show up in this forum)  and Rick Hoyt for ALL the years they have run the Boston Marathon.....since Rick was a teenager. They have become such a story of inspiration to many in the sports community, as well as the Metro Boston community (they live approx 10 min from me and many others here).

Each year during the Boston Marathon, they are always special interviewed by all the local press and even with Richard getting older, he continues on to make sure Rick enjoys the run.  An amazing story, an amazing story of inspriation and will and drive and strength and courage.  We can definately learn so much by what they have endured and how they continue to push on.

Thanks SO much for sharing this with us.  You truly have no idea the impact they have had on me over the years and the article you share is most worth the read.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:59:16 am »
Can I admit that I teared up watching the video?   :o

FlyersFan68

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 01:16:37 pm »
That was a great yet sad story.  I liked the part stating that his first words were  ..Go Bruins! I would have liked it better if he said Go Flyers. Great father/son relationship there!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:23 pm »
Go Bruins works for me... granted, perm resident of BoSox nation!

I'm not sure now that Richard is really starting to get up there in age.. there was talk this past April of it being his last marathon to run with Rick, as it's getting more difficult for him to push the chair.. and Rick has gotten older/heavier in the past years.  When the day comes that Rick can't do the run anymore, I hope they are grooming someone to take over.....

I get chills when I think about the 2 of them and what they represent... and I do gain positive energy in learning about them over the years.  Makes my issues seem so miniscule.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 06:48:02 pm »
Ok flyers fan..what's the deal with the ocotpus on the ice at the Dallas star games?

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:58:38 pm »
Great video..awesome music...Ironman is tough I've been on the big island and watched the athletes train..it's gruelling and darn hot out there!  Thanks for sharing scott

windinthesails

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:47:12 pm »
Thanks for sharing the story, it is truly a touching story. I forwarded it onto some friends of mine.
4cm AN on Right Side
Partial Surgery 3/22/06, Gamma Knife 6/25/06
Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento, Dr. Ciricillo Neurologist

Mark

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 07:50:06 pm »
This is truly an amazing story which I was introduced to a couple of years while watching the Hawaii Ironman on TV. They did not finish that year but did the next. I have trained and done sprint and Olympic distance triathlons for almost 10 years and my goal whenever life slows down is to one day do a half Ironman. Anyone who can do a full Ironman distance is an incredible athlete with great courage IMO. For someone to do it carrying his adult son the whole distance is mind boggling to me. Hoyt is an inspiration in so many ways and should be considered a saint. Many have been given that recognition over the years having demonstrated far less love and commitment than this man has done.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 08:39:08 pm »
Thanks for posting this Scott! It made my day. It inspired me me and made me feel that there is hope!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 09:00:43 pm »
thank you, nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

nannettesea

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 09:03:26 pm »
Wow.  Made me cry.  That is indescribable courage.  I echo Phyl--makes our problems seem small.

Did you see the joy on that man's face?  Talk about transcending one's circumstances.

Thanks, Scottie.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

FlyersFan68

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 08:22:56 am »
Ok flyers fan..what's the deal with the ocotpus on the ice at the Dallas star games?

Hey Batty,
 Here's the deal!
The Motor City's proud tradition of saluting the Detroit Red Wings with slimy creatures of the deep dates back half a century.
The first octopus landed on the ice during the Red Wings' 1952 Stanley Cup run, courtesy of a couple of lads from a local fish shop. If you know your cephalopods, you will know that an octopus has eight tentacles. In those days it took eight playoff wins to claim the Cup, hence the supposed symbolism of the gesture.

Dallas looks good so far especially with the well missed #88. It's tough coping with this brutal start by the Flyers especially after watching three former Flyers take the cup last year with Carolina (Brind'Amour/Recchi/Williams). I really wanted Carolina to win last year because of Brind'Amour. I gave his heart here in Philly for many years. I hope we can hold onto Gagne & Forsberg and build a good team around these players instead of just dealing them away only to watch them win a cup with somebody else.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 08:32:42 am »
The Octopus tradition is still strong here in Detroit.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:11:56 am »
I'm sure it is...I remember when it jinxed the Flyers in the finals against the Wings. Damn Trap.