Author Topic: NEWLY Diagnosed looking for UNC Chapel Hill surgeon feedback  (Read 3220 times)

Sailfish

Newly diagnosed 1 month ago with a large AN requiring surgery. Still in shock. Went from 2-months of shooting pain in left side of face to a now constant numbness from jaw to tongue. Fullness feeling in ear.  Diagnosed with Tinnitus 5-years ago.

Has anyone had either type AN surgery at UNC at Chapel Hill, NC with Dr. Sasaki-Adams and Dr. Kevin Brown?  If so, what was your experience?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:28:14 am by Sailfishboy »
6/23/17  3.2cm  Facial numbness and tingling  Tinnitus 2012 
Surgery with Drs. Cunningham and Zomorodi at Duke - upcoming

ANSydney

Re: NEWLY Diagnosed looking for UNC Chapel Hill surgeon feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:08:57 pm »
Your outcome is highly dependent on the skills and experience of the surgeon. Studies have shown that the first 50 AN surgeries are much worse than the next 50. It take about 100 to get good.

So ask, how many AN surgeries have they done.

Sailfish

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:44:43 pm »
Brown and Sasaki-Adams at UNC have said they each have performed about 150-180 AN surgeries. Felt confident with them but reading posts about House has me second guessing if I'm going in the right direction.
6/23/17  3.2cm  Facial numbness and tingling  Tinnitus 2012 
Surgery with Drs. Cunningham and Zomorodi at Duke - upcoming

JoeyC

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:16:05 am »
Would take a look at Dr. Cunningham at Duke.  Performed my wife's surgery and did very well.  Very few problems after two years....