Author Topic: Surgery in July/2017  (Read 2013 times)

Kaci

Surgery in July/2017
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:01:27 am »
Hi there, I have been on this forum for a few months now reading everyone's stories and decided to post mine. I was uncertain to post as I am trying my best to keep myself in a positive place best I can and some of the stories or feedback I read can leave you feeling unsettled. I know everyone is different, each case is different, some easier than others or some more difficult. I was diagnosed in December/2016. In October my hearing changed suddenly and I went to the doctor that same day. After 3 weeks it stayed the same and I made an apt with an ENT. He did blood work and ordered an MRI. After my diagnosis he referred me to doctors at Yale but his opinion was to see Dr. Roland at NYU. My insurance would not cover seeing him. I made appt with him anyway and decided to pay out of pocket. I ended up cancelling this apt thinking it was to expensive and the fight with insurance would be a tough one. I saw two doctors at Yale. I did so much of my own research and I didn't like all they had to say, what their approaches would be and what little experience they had. I contacted House and Michigan Ear Institute, I sent them the MRI's and we discussed my case over the phone. Michigan Ear Institute was incredible and spent probably over 2 hours total over the phone with me giving me so much information not to mention calming me over concerns. Note, I was not their patient, just someone looking for advice and possibly become their patient. I still cannot believe all the time they spent talking to me. The thought of traveling that far, House or Michigan seemed to much so I decided to make another appt with Dr Roland at NYU and there was no comparison. I knew this is where I needed to go. If any of you have had a consult or surgery with Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos I am sure you understand my reasons for wanting to go here. I have been battling the insurance issue for months now, so time consuming but it seems I won this fight. I still have another fight the end of this month, something I have no choice but to take on. I know I am nervous but I have had so many Dr appts and dealing with the insurance that I feel like I have not really had the time to stop and process it all. I finally got the approval yesterday so up until that point I wasn't even sure if this was happening. It is very hard to ask people about their personal experiences. Each case/person is different. Right now I think I would just like to be reassured of Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos. Thank you to all who took time to read

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Surgery in July/2017
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:09:30 am »
Dr. Roland and Golfinos are AWESOME!! They were not my surgeons because I live across the country, but if I lived in NY, they probably would have been.

I wish you the best! You will know (in your gut) when you have chosen the right surgeon!