Author Topic: Proton Therapy  (Read 2458 times)

Sharond4usa

Proton Therapy
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:54:59 pm »
Has anyone had proton therapy for their acoustic neuroma. I've just been diagnosed and reading options. Came across a study of 24 patients who had proton therapy with good results. Any information would be appreciated.

Gearbox123

Re: Proton Therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:00:13 pm »
Hi , I hope you are doing well with your symptoms, and welcome, everyone is affected differently.I had a true Vestibular Swannanoma and it affected my Balance, I felt like I was on ship for 5 long years.   I read some posts here about people who had Proton Radiation and good results, you may have to search this site for there posts. I went for a consultation about Fractional but decided on the Gamma Knife Radiation myself  and my tumor was small but felt it was time to get it done. If you are currently on watch and wait and you tumor is small continue to research and take your time on the decision.  I went with the Gamma Knife Radiation because it is considered the Gold standard but there now many choices , C.K, Fractional,  Proton,  etc. I am sure others will reach out with experiences and help. This is very helpful and informative site, I wish you all the best with your health and your decisions. All the best!

v357139

Re: Proton Therapy
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:21:16 pm »
Sharond,
It is a good idea to research the various options.  Gamma Knife has been around the longest for AN.  Then either Cyberknife or FSR next, not sure which.  Proton beam is alot newer for Acoustic Neuroma.  You should learn the pros and cons of each, then you can ask your doctor educated questions about his recommendation.  Very important to get educated.  This forum can help alot.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!