Author Topic: I appear to have Synkinesis  (Read 3039 times)

JLR

I appear to have Synkinesis
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:54:01 pm »
I am 8 months post op. AN right side. Retro procedure.  I now have dent or dimple on right side of chin.  A pulling or tugging of right cheek and when I purse my mouth it leans to the right. HELP. What do I do now. Do I need a facial therapist?  Will this go away? Is this permanent? I'm beyond annoyed. Many thanks for any feedback.  Joan

Kerrybr92

Re: I appear to have Synkinesis
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:38:00 pm »
Hi Joan,

Sorry you are experiencing synkinesis.  I have it as well.  I have the dimple in my chin and when I smile to big my eye closes.  I saw a facial therapist while I was recovering early on who had me do all sorts of exercises and I got it despite out best efforts.  At this point I just deal with it.  Just one more unexpected outcome :) I do receive Botox injections in my chin and also on my forehead. Since I have paralysis in my forehead I do not have any lines or movement on the right side so to make me look more even I have the Botox on the left side. In the end neither side moves.  I guess that's makes me look younger...a positive.

You should go see a facial therapist and see what advice they have for you. 

Good luck.

Kerry
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

Rhcdad

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:42:14 am »
I also have it, I would suggest some facial PT and some Botox, I guess we will have this forever. Just another hurdle to work thru. I try to stay calm although never easy. Just now you are not alone. I do my facial PT at home every night, not sure it's making a difference but I keep trying.
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

JLR

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:18 pm »
Thank you both. I do facial exercises. Have been doing for several months. Maybe I did them too soon..are you sure it's permanent. My face is having this tugging sensation. I'm hoping at my one year (November) anniversary things will calm down. Wishful thinking..I had no idea this would happen after my surgery. My advise to the WW... Stay away from surgery unless it's absolutely necessary.