Author Topic: 1 year after surgery, is it ever going to get better?  (Read 13214 times)

Frederic

Re: 1 year after surgery, is it ever going to get better?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 02:41:27 am »
I just thought I would give an update and give some hope to others...

2 years ago I thought that this is as good as it is going to get but things did still improve considerably in the last 2 years.

My balance improved to most in the last 2 years, I still get those mornings that I wake up with an unbalance but these happen less frequent and recover in a couple of days where it used to take weeks.

The fatigue reduced slightly and my memory improved quite a bit, still not what it was before the operation but a lot better than 2 years ago, I still take a nap if I can when I feel tired as this always helped.

As to the eye watering, my nose running when eating and the eyelid not closing completely these have not improved but putting eye drops 6 times a day and eye gel for night time helps.

So yes, things still improve after 2 years, just be patient and don't be to hard on yourself, give your body the rest and time to heal...

Thanks to the forum and it's members, I found a lot of useful information here and much needed motivation to keep me going in the last 4 years :-)

Greece Lover

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 11:37:23 am »
good to have this update. I too get eye watering, nose running, and sometimes excessive non-stop salivating when I eat certain foods.  so annoying!  Good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

artima

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 04:05:34 am »
Interesting. I'm also interested in this story. But cannot find information Good luck to read

TommieMcdonald

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 12:41:27 am »
Frederic:
Each of us have travelled the same path but with different rocks in the way.
What my doctor told me 6 weeks post op always stuck in my head " this tumor didn't grow in a short period of time and the healing won't end in a short period of time " ( or something to that effect).
The eye, are you putting in drops or creams ? (You should be, this is something I didn't keep up with and have scratches on my eye now).
Tearing while you eat, frustrating but manageable in the big picture isn't it ?
It is entirely possible the cold is causing your headaches, barometric pressure plays havoc with many of us. Tylenol if you must, or Advil or whatever your doctor suggests. Personally the only thing that truly helps me get rid of them is to stay in the dark until they are gone (since having children not possible however).
Hearing aids can be helpful for many, you may find the tinnitus is worse when your tired/stressed/drinking too much caffeine etc.
Fatigue, for some this gets better for some not. Before I had children I napped a lot !, now I go around dragging my backside. Nap when you can.
Concentration and focus are linked to the fatigue,  I think, I find when I'm well rested it gets better. I think over the years this issue has gotten better.
As far as physical activity, baby steps need to be taken and if this is still too much discuss this with you family doctor however, that being said, if you work full time maybe that's enough for your body right now, give yourself more time.
Balance, I still have the problem and it's been over 25 years, yeah it's not as bad as it was, I can ride a bike but I wouldn't dare try a motorbike. I walk like a drunken sailor some times. Dizziness goes along with that, if I close my eyes and put my arms out I almost  fall over, even today.
Depression and anxiety became my friend after my initial surgery to remove the AN, it has never left me and I'm maintained on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. The surgery disrupted the neuro-transmitters and although my doc thought it might re-balance it never has.
As far as your boss, this is difficult, the incision heals, the hair goes back and people think " oh they're all better now" but that's far from the case. Have a frank discussion with your boss, maybe provide him/her some articles to read so they can be aware of the reality you are now living.....would hate it see you having to sue them from wrongful dismissal.
Take care
Kathleen
Jan 21, 2020 — You'll also do other exercises to get you ready to go home. After you're released from the hospital, you might finish your recovery with a stay at ...

TommieMcdonald

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 09:35:35 am »
Hi all,

What a journey  :'(

I had an acoustic neuroma removed (middle fossa) in August 2016.
Regards,
Frederic
Anesthesia may have lingering side effects on the brain, even years after an operation ... hours after her operation, Baker, then an 81-year-old professor at the Johns Hopkins ... Recent studies also indicate that the condition may be more

Frederic, sorry to hear all of this.
May I ask how big was your AN/how bad were the symptoms (so to justify this surgery)?
Thanks.