Author Topic: "freaky eye"  (Read 13547 times)

kristin

"freaky eye"
« on: November 12, 2006, 04:06:57 pm »
Ok...so that's what I call it!

I had middle fossa at HEI on April 14, 2005 (so...about a year and a half ago). I haven't visited this site for awhile, but it was SO helpful to me both before and after my surgery.

Now...I have what i call....."freaky eye". I never noticed this until about January of 2006. I got my picture taken outside and it was DARN cold. And my AN side eye didn't close (or squint) like the other one did. It gives me a weird look! If I could figure out how to attach pictures to this I would...It isn't as bad when the weather is warm, but the cold weather brings out the freaky eye every time!

Anyone else have this? I'm assuming yes because I got a questionnaire from House that had the question..."Does you AN side eye squint when you smile". Let me know if you have anything to help with this, or is this just something I'll have to live with?

Thanks,
Kristin in Montana
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

vcschaub

Re: "freaky eye"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 04:25:29 pm »
I am one year postop and my an eye does squint when I smile broadly and also when I yawn. My an eye also tears when I chew. No one seems to notice but I do.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:07:13 pm »
Hi Kristin,

Good to see you on the website again! The only problem that I have is when I yawn. When I yawn my AN eye seems to close, really weird and like both you and Viki, I'm the only one that notices it. If you notice, all three of us had Brackmann and Hitselberger, either it has something to do with Middle Fossa or it is a signature of their surgery!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:11:40 pm »
The cold makes my head hurt worse and facial pain more prominent..maybe the cold is causing your freaky eye thing.  I'd hate to think that's his signature  LOL  My eye looks normal and also tears when I chew. 

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:08:36 pm »
The eye closing when one yawns is called synkinesis.  There are other variations of it and is when some of the fibers of the facial nerve healed "wrong" and are telling the wrong muscle to work.  I know there is a better definition of it than how I described it and need to look it up exactly.     The eye tearing is something else but is also related to the nerve damage.   
The facial therapist that I made one visit to did mention cold as something that cause spasms and facial-muscle problems.
                                               Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

matti

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 08:21:55 pm »
Hi Kristin - Welcome back!!!! Everytime I have my picture taken, my AN looks like "a deer in the headlights" while the other one looks normal. I always refer to it as my "crazy eye" and I hate having my picture taken. I also had middle fossa. I have synkenisis, so my AN side does odd things.  The corner of my mouth lifts up when I blink, kinda looks like I am flirting LOL. When I touch the side of my nose, I can feel pressure on my forehead and ear.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 10:46:03 am »
Hi Cheryl R.

Thanks for the info about Synkinesis. I didn't even know that they had a name for it. Thanks,  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:58:29 pm »
Todd in Pittsburgh said that he believes synkinesis isn't when the nerve heals wrong but that other nerves step up to help the correct nerve and then don't know when to back down.  Also the eye close when yawning thing is the #1 way to tell if someone has ever had facial palsy. He told of a doctor who had Bells palsy 20 years ago and the only lasting effect is the yawn/eye close thing.

As for freaky eye, it definitely looks worse in pictures. I'm thinking I look alright in the mirror and then I see a picture and think how can people not see that!

To help synkinesis, a facial trainer can do wonders!!!! I highly recommend Todd at UPMC!!!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

amn70

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:45:36 am »
Hi Kristin,

Thank you for bringing this up. It is nice to know that I am not being petty being bugged by this "crazy eye." My right eye (side where AN was removed) closes when I yawn and clearly looks different in pictures when I smile. It also feels heavier than the left eye. I don't think it will ever be the same again even after extensive therapy but in the scheme of things, I can live it and it could have been worse. I do however miss my old face--the one with the big, brown, normal eyes and perfect smile (I suffered wearing braces in my early teens :) Take care!

Angela

1.5 cm AN
FSR Johns Hopkins 10/2001
Translab surgery, Loyola Chgo, 1/2005

Jana

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 02:14:52 pm »
Hi,
I am 7 years post op and I had complete facial paralysis on the left side.  Since then I have had significant movement on the lower half of my face.  My eye tears all the time because I had the tear duct cauterized shut to hold in moisture.  It's worse when I chew also so I keep a kleenex handy so it dosen't run down my face  ::)  I have noticed in the last week or so some twitching around my left eye.  Hopefully its not synkineses setting in or that I will have twitchy eye forever.  I am hoping that is it is the last stretch of my nerve coming back to life.  Is anyone else having this problem??

Thanks, Jana

rntiggergirl

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 12:58:19 pm »
I just posted a new subject unde synkinesis... please read....  I need some help, my "crazy eye" is getting out of control...
and by the way I had Middle Fossa Surgery also thru House, My surgeons were Fayad and Hitz. 

Cheryl  ;)

Rayinpa37

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 11:21:17 am »
i am nearing 3 years since surgery.  had facial paralysis as well.  the majority of the motion has returned but like you all are saying i too have the "lazy/crazy/freaky" eye.  It winks when i chew.  is always tearing and is noticibly drooped when compared.  at this point i thinkl it will staye this way.. does not make me happy..

i am wondering though.. i since the day of my surgery developed severe tinnitus and headaches on the AN side that i didnt have prior.  in recent weeks it has gotten drastically worse..  louder tinnitus, dizziness, burning blinding headaches accompanied by nausea, and scarier yet is forgetfullness..  Have been working in the same company for near 7 years.  and the other day i was going around from person to person for something and had to ask their names.. it was so unnerving. 

I am seeing my neuro tomorrow morning.. but am wondering if anyone else has had similar experience and if they found any relief.

Particulary for the lazy eye and the tinnitus.

Any replies are welcome
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Grace - age 40
Dunmore, Pa

1.9cm AN removed via Sub-Occipital Surgery
March 8th 2004
Dr. Robert Martuza, Massachusetts General Hospital
--Using CROS Hearing Aids

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:32 am »
Hi guys,

Well, I for one am happy when it tears, at least it's getting lubricated 'au natural.'     What bothers me is the upper lid is still swollen from the gold weight, so eye makeup is out (heck, I'm not even using foundation anymore !)
I don't like the way the eye looks either, but it is so much better than before the surgery. 
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kristin

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 10:37:07 pm »
i am so forgetful too. it makes me want to cry at times. and my husband (bless him) tries to be helpful and finish my sentances for me, but it just makes me more frustrated. as far as the freaky eye thing goes...i don't know. i have plugs in so i have lubrication, but it's like they gave me a one sided eyebrow lift or something...maybe i should get the other side lifted? :)

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33