Author Topic: Dizziness and Hearing Loss after G.K  (Read 4098 times)

Gearbox123

Dizziness and Hearing Loss after G.K
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:25:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,  I am new to Radiation section because I was on W and W for about 5 yrs. My tumor was very small for many years 3 mm in 2012 to about 6mm x 5mm x4mm in 2016 MRI scan. I had Gamma Knife Radiation at N.Y.U with Dr.Kondziolka team last Wednesday so it only a week. The 1st 2 days no real problems minor headaches at pin sites my usual pressure fullness earaches,  by Saturday my hearing in effected ear  was shot and sounded as if everyone was underwater. I have always had balance issues and very mild hearing loss . The balance issues were if I felt I just got off a ship, but now I am experiencing more like spinning feeling the vertigo feelings everyone has talked about. I am currently on steroids, Methylprednisolone 4mg cycle just started the other day. I took my shot with G.K to clear up my problem and reduce the chance of the tumor creating single sided deafness,  so I can only hope that it's early in the game and things will get better,  any suggestions or similar experiences are welcomed. I have been to Vestibular Therapy before so I am hoping that will be next if nothing else changes. Thanks in advance . All the best and God bless!

rupert

Re: Dizziness and Hearing Loss after G.K
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:07:21 pm »
Rest is the ticket.  More rest than you think you need.  Many on here have experienced some wonkiness from time to time and rest can really help.  As time goes on the episodes will become less frequent and shorter duration.  I would only be guessing but, probably the stress of the procedure is catching up to you even if you don't realize it.  Good luck to you.

Gearbox123

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:42 pm »
Will do. Thank you.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:09:27 am »
It's not unusual for your hearing to decline suddenly and for you to get dizzy.
The same thing happened to me.
Your symptoms can fluctuate for 2 years or more and then normally settle down.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Gearbox123

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply and advice, I really appreciate it! It truly is a great website. Have a nice weekend, all the best!

Elsy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:48:28 pm »
Agree fully with Paulw - you will feel off for a bit ( for me it was like how you feel after turning round about 20 times ) for 1-2 months. Your tumor is small, so I reckon you'll get better really soon ( mine was 2.9 cm ). Rest is what you need now so stay positive...you'll be fine!

All the best,
Elsy

Gearbox123

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 01:38:39 pm »
Thanks for the replys postive, feedback and support.  All the best!

Echo

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 08:38:05 am »
I was treated for a 2.4cm AN.  I was okay for the first 6 months post Gamma Knife, no big deal, but from 6 months till 24 months, I had good, bad and wonky days with lots of balance and visual problems.  Exhaustion was unlike any I had experienced before.  Get rest and lots of it, it's the best thing you can do.  I did some vestibular therapy and found after the 24 month marker, I was having more good days than off days and it just kept getting better. 

Best of luck.
Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 02:08:49 pm »
Just wanted to say that even though my hearing declined after Radiation it came back again.
Doesn't happen for everybody, but having hearing fluctuating after GK is not uncommon.
Typically hearing improvement happened over 3-4 months.
I am going to challenge the "listen to your body" and get lots of rest notion.
I firmly believe we get tired because our vestibular system has been compromised and the extra brain power to do everything from reading to staying upright is affected.
The sooner you can retrain your brain and vestibular system the better.
Unfortunately with radiation balance seems to be a moving target.
There will be days where sitting on the couch is all you can do.
But if you get up and get moving, it will make you feel tired straight afterwards, but over the coming weeks you will probably feel a lot better.
I found walking to be a really good vestibular exercise.. If I walked 1-2 hours per day I felt a lot better within a week. If I stopped walking things went down hill again and I spent more time on the couch
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Gearbox123

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
Thanks everyone! I am having my days that's for sure. I will just keep trucking along. This site and everyone on it is a great help. Thanks again for the support

jbroderi

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 12:54:38 am »
Hi everyone
My younger brother got Gamma Knife therapy for a tumor on his right side. He is now experiencing deafness in his right ear. He had the same therapy on the left side last year and did not experience any deafness. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and did their hearing return and if so how long did it take? He is currently on steroids for the next 10 days.