Author Topic: Throbbing Pain  (Read 1794 times)

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Throbbing Pain
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:13:08 am »
Hello, everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. I have been pretty much pain-free for the past 5 days and have been slowly increasing my walking and mild activity as I have been getting stronger each day. I am 12 days post op from my CFL surgery (same surgical entry as the AN surgery on 5/2). This morning I woke up at 7 a.m. with throbbing pain stemming from my ear and deep beyond the ear and the surrounding surgical area. I took a pain pill that has helped but it is not gone. I may have overdone things yesterday. I may have slept on my ear unknowingly, but I really am not sure. Has this happened to anyone else after doing well for almost a week?
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

EvanFNYC

Re: Throbbing Pain
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:26 am »
hi there,

I had a similar situation with a severe pain about a month after surgery when my recovery was going well. I thought i slept strange or sneezed and opened a stitch in my head or started leaking CFL fluid. My doctor prescribed me some higher dosage of pain meds and it went away in a few days. Hope that it passes for you too and has never been a concern again, just a strange occurrence.

-Evan

EricC

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 01:47:47 pm »
I'm still W&W but I did just have an abutment installed on my bad side (hey its still a hole in my head:).  I felt fine after surgery.  No real problems.  The week after when the doctor removed the "pillow".  I started getting throbbing pain.  Moving my neck, jaw, elevation changes....hurt bad.  I also rolled over in bed while asleep.  My skull hurt.  I called my doctor and he said it was fine, reup'd my pain meds.  The next week I was fine.

Moral - better doesn't mean less painful.   Call your doctor to make sure everything is okay. 

Good luck 
4.6 x 3.4 x 2.9 mm (2017)
4.3 x 2.4x 2.5 mm (2016)
3.9 x 2.1 x 2.5 mm (2015)

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:14:58 pm »
The pain was caused by swelling due to the steroid regimen ending too soon. I have begun another regimen and already after just one dose the throbbing pain and swelling are already better. The pain had started to move to my face as well and the swelling was increasing by the hour.  I am so glad to now be on top of this. I feel so much better already. That was pretty scary considering I had been pain-free for five days. Thanks for the responses.  :)
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still