Author Topic: High platelet count?  (Read 2648 times)

MarkS

High platelet count?
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:40:02 am »
Hi all,
I had AN surgery on Mar 21, and I am mostly back to normal.  However, I just had my annual physical at work (2 months post surgery), and they noticed a high platelet count.  It wasn't super high - 324 x 10^3 per mm3 - but it was an indication I'd never had before.  I asked the doc what could cause that, and he was reluctant to go into details about the possible causes.  Basically he said LOTS of things can cause it, and best not to worry.
That didn't exactly reassure me.  So I checked online, and sure enough there's a list of like 15 things that can cause it.  One is cancer, but another is surgery.  Has anyone else here had this symptom post AN surgery?  How long after surgery should the level remain elevated?  Any insight y'all have would be appreciated.
2.2 x 2.3 x 2.6 AN right side
Retrosigmoid 3/21/17
MD Anderson, Houston

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Re: High platelet count?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:16:33 pm »
I just had some blood work done myself today and am curious as to how my count looks. I have read that many people have really low B-12 too. I will let you know how mine comes out.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Re: High platelet count?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 03:40:32 pm »
All of my blood work came back in the normal ranges. I did have a bit higher than my usual high cholesterol numbers (which does run high - I am on meds for it), but makes sense with the lack of exercise etc.. I have increased my potassium intake with food since I am still on steroids (weaning down hopefully for the last time) and CF pills. All in all, pretty good counts on everything else though.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still