Author Topic: ABNORMAL ABR  (Read 2150 times)

sammie0102

ABNORMAL ABR
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
HEY EVERYONE!!!

So, I'm super nervous. This all started about 2 weeks ago when I went to get up out of bed and sat up and go super dizzy, I felt like my brain was spinning. I had to wait about 2 minutes before I could stand up. then I went about my day and was fine. the next morning it happened again, and its been happening again for the past 2 weeks only when getting up from a laying down position. sometimes my balance seems a little off after I get up. (prior to these episodes I had really bad headaches for about a month) anyways. I went to my doctor and they start treating me for vertigo and gave me meclizine which does nothing. finally I called my doctor back because it wasn't getting any better, and that's when I ended up at the ENT. so he did a hearing test and my hearing is perfect. The only thing that was off was I didn't have any acoustic reflexes, but he said that's really not a big deal that it can be common. he said since my hearing was normal he couldn't do the other testing but set me up for a vestibular test. so I had that done last week, and I just saw him today for the results,. and he said that my left ear shows weakness, and wants me to do some exercises and if that doesn't help I have to do physical therapy, but my right ear came up abnormal on the ABR and I have to have an MRI with contrast. I'm also having a cranial ultrasound on Monday. So naturally I get in my car and I start googling, and I start hysterical crying because I start reading that an abnormal ABR most likely is an AN. ive never had any issues up until 2 weeks ago. So now I'm super scared and nervous and I want to have the MRI like NOW!!! but naturally I have to wait for authorization. The dizziness seemed to get better in the mornings, except now I seem to have it with head movements. I know none of you are doctors, but just normal people like me who have had similar things go on, or who have had an AN. Does this sound like I could have one? My doctor said that he needs to make sure everything is ok with the nerves, I'm assuming he means nothing compressing them. Ive also read that an AN is a benign tumor, that can be treated and surgically removed. Is this all correct, but all the issues afterwards makes me have this very uneasy feeling. I had an MRI of my brain 4 years ago and it was completely normal.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Willbur

• I will shrink it
Re: ABNORMAL ABR
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:46 pm »
Sorry to hear about your symptoms, but it sounds like you're Googling too much. Just because you had one four years ago, doesn't mean they didn't miss it or the tumor was too small. There are a number of factors. The only thing that will tell you if you have it is an MRI with contrast. Acoustic neuromas are slow growing (1-2mm) per year. Also depending on the MRI scanner some will detect up to .5mm and some will be a little larger (Check T3 VS T2, etc.). Good luck and let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:53:25 pm by Willbur »
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19
1/24 - Surgery Successful
3/6 - MRI/CT Scan No Regrowth

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:06:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum Sammie. I've never heard of a "cranial ultrasound" - it would be interesting to know what it is.

If you get the MRI, you need to get gadolinium contrast agent to light up small tumors, which you have stated.

Not sure what is going on. If you look up or down or spin rapidly to both sides, does any dizziness result? it could be an AN, but then it could also be crystals in the middle ear fluid or an infection of the middle ear.

The fact that your hearing was perfect is a good sign.

Most AN tumors do not grow. They can be actively treated using surgery or radiosurgery. If they do grow, they (usually) grow slowly.

sammie0102

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »
thanks for you response

a cranial ultrasound looks at all the blood vessels. I'm having the MRI with contrast tonight at 5:00pm. I'll get the results on Saturday when I see my ENT. and the answer to your question. yes if i move my head around to fast i do get dizzy. My ears are clear and my crystals are in place and i have no infections. This whole thing is very nerve racking. I cant wait til i have an answer. I hate this feeling.

I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I know the results