Author Topic: Questions about dry eye  (Read 24518 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Questions about dry eye
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »
Swim goggles would serve as inexpensive moisture chamber goggles, which would be a logical next step for you. I've got to run right now but will try to post more info later, or look through the first few pages of posts in the eye issues forum for posts related to moisture chambers.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 05:05:49 pm »
My ophthalmologist says the same thing about swimming goggles - if I didn't use the NITEYE moisture bubble at night, he'd have me wear swimming goggles.
Guess the docs all agree they're great as moisture chambers, which Sara said !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ombrerose4

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:48 am »
Hi, I am 6 weeks post op and the worst part for me is the dry eye. It drives me nuts and I usually end up getting a bad headache. I have tried drops, gel, ointments, etc. Somedays they help somedays nothing helps. I have had two temporary plugs put in and they did seem to help. Today I am seeing a new eye doctor and hope to get a permanent plug because I can't take it anymore. :(
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

cyrmom2

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:40 pm »
Yipee - my eye feels so much better today. :)  I used a homemade moisture chamber (left lens of clear swim goggles) and tucked it in my glasses (sun glasses & reading glasses too) yesterday.  A little Celluvisc and my eye is happy once again!

Cyndi

diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:59 pm »
Hi Lauren - really hope your new ophthalmologist has a better option for you.  It's the most frustrating thing to be constantly putting stuff in your eyes.  Even though I've never gotten tearing back, my eye did seem to improve several months after surgery.  I think that may have been about the time all the drugs from the anesthesia finally worked their way out of my system.  Have you tried the Cellivusc gel drops?  They're the only drop that works for me - thick and gooey, but at least I can go an hour or so usually.  

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 01:58:16 pm »
I just started using Refresh Celluvisc and I am in love! Between those and the punctal plug there's no more burning and I only have to do drops every 2-4 hours! It's like a Halloween miracle!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »
Hey everyone.  Yes, the eye issues are definitely a challenge.  Some days seem to be better than others for me.   I also had several venous sinus blood clots. Its not very common-how are you doing?  My eye hasn't recovered but I have good days and bad.    The moisture barrier and rest are really helpful for me.   Sometimes I can;t do anything but use Celluvisc, Refresh PM. tape it shut and put on my concave eye mask. 

1. Has anyone tried Allergen/Refresh's prescription drops?  Restasis?
2. I would highly recommend my eye mask by Bucky      http://www.amazon.com/Bucky-Ultralight-Travel-Eye-Mask/dp/B000FIJ07G

Wishing you comfort with the change in weather,
Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 06:44:46 am »
Thanks for the link, Karen. They look like a swimsuit top!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

texsooner

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 07:20:18 am »
Karen, I tried Restasis for about a month and it didn't work for me. I believe I read where it works on something like 20% of the people who try it....maybe it will work for you....it's worth a shot. 15 months after my surgery, I still don't produce tears in the AN side eye...but fortunately just 2 or 3 drops (per day) of Refresh Celluvisc do the trick for me now.

Patrick
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:22:20 am by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jill Marie

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »
Patrick,

I can't help but wonder why if you don't produce tears that you only have to use drops a couple of time a day.  I don't produce tears and use ointment ALL day long, every 15 minutes or so.   I'm happy for you but wondering what I'm doing wrong.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

texsooner

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:25 am »
Jill,

I can't really explain it either. I guess there are just different degrees of dry eye. For about 2-3 months after surgery, I was like you in that I had to use drops and ointment a lot during the day. For me, I think this had to do with my blink being very weak from the surgery. Since then, my blinking became stronger and that translated into my eye not hurting and not drying out as often. It's possible that I do produce some tears on the AN side, but I don't notice it. The last time I teared up(few weeks ago), tears still only came out of my non-AN side. My dry eye getting better could also have to do with climate...I live in the Houston, TX area which is normally pretty humid.

I don't think you're necessarily doing anything wrong, it just seems unfortunately to be worse in your case...I'm sorry, I wish I had an easy solution for you....I know how frustrating this was for me to have this issue for a few months, sounds like you have endured with severe dry eye for a long time. Have you tried the Restasis? Also, there are other people on this forum who had success with the punctual plugs....maybe you've been down that road already, but if not maybe it's worth looking in to. Hope you can find some relief/improvement soon. 

Patrick 
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

ombrerose4

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:51 am »
Hi Jill,

I am 8 weeks post op and received my permanent plug about a week and a half ago. It took about 5 days but finally seems to be helping.  I still put in drops, but only every couple of hours instead of every 10 minutes. In the evening my eyes still become very dry and uncomfortable. I see my eye doctor in 2 weeks and she mentioned she may put me on Restasis, so we"ll see how that goes. It seems to be a matter of trial and error. Good luck!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Jill Marie

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »
Thanks Patrick & Ombrerose,

I had a plug put in a few years ago and unfortunately it didn't help at all.  As for the Restasis I will have to look into that.  Since I have absolutely no watering of the eye I figured there wasn't any chance Restasis would help.  My facial nerve was cut and replaced with a nerve from my neck, the doctor told me my eye would eventually water but not blink.  He got that backwards.  After 17 years of dealing with this I still hope that one day something will change, in the meantime I will look into the Restasis especially if the Insurance will cover it.  I use 1 to 2 tubes of ointment a day at $4 to $8 a tube and the Insurance doesn't cover it.  They quit making the ointment I was using and what I"m using now isn't as good but it cheaper than the other brands.  I'm glad you two don't have to use the drops or ointment as much!  Thanks again, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 01:18:54 am »
Can any of you that use the Celluvisc actually see out that eye?   I had the delayed paralysis, and am only 2 1/2 weeks post op.   Dr. recommended them and I like them, but my eye is to blurry to see anything.   I wear glasses too.

thanks

Oops, one other question....since I had the delayed onset of paraylisis and eye stuff do you think I have good chance of getting all back?    My appt. isn't for another week with dr., but seems like I have lots of questions.    When we left the hospital I was overall feeling great......few days later alll heck broke loose :-)   

I've been posting a blog that helps out a lot too.   Just put pictures on there and now I will have a place to compare them

THANKS again
Denise Sanford
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:26:28 am by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 07:31:43 am »
Can any of you that use the Celluvisc actually see out that eye?   I had the delayed paralysis, and am only 2 1/2 weeks post op.   Dr. recommended them and I like them, but my eye is to blurry to see anything.   I wear glasses too.

Denise,
Nope, can't really see out of the celluvisc eye. But I've kind of gotten used to it after two months of blurry vision in that eye because of all the drops and lubricant. I have glasses, too. The right (unaffected) eye sees fine with the glasses, the left can't even read the top of the eye chart.  :P Unless the dr rinses all the junk out with saline. The one time he did that I saw fine in the left eye, too.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy