Author Topic: I am a postie  (Read 2813 times)

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
I am a postie
« on: May 05, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »
Hello everyone, I am three days out of my surgery which was very long - 16 hours. I wanted to share my story as so many before me had which was so very helpful to me. When I awoke I had the breathing tube out (yay). The day started at 5:15 and finished about 12 midnight. I had a good bit of nausea for the first night and the following day, but finally working with the meds and that was taken care of. The first two days it was hard to keep my eyes openI also had a rare complication in my belly where they extracted the fat to close the wound. I developed a giant hematoma there. They cleaned it out in the ICU but finally decided I need further surgery to find the bleed. That situation is why I am still here actually. I moved into a regular room late this afternoon. I could have moved late yesterday but there were no beds available. The balance is not too awful, but I am working through it. No facial issues but today I do have a bit of numbness on my cheek and lip along with the dreaded metallic taste. This place, Vanderbilt is stellar. I love my doctors and all of the nurses have been angels. I have strolled the halls and showered today and I lost my crazy pressure head bandage. My pain level has diminished greatly. I mainly need a little something every 4 hours. I also am wearing a vertigo patch for nausea. My spirits are high and the best news - only left a tiny sliver - 99.9% of the tumor is gone!  Depending on my stomach incision I will be discharged either tomorrow or Sunday.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

Janey

Re: I am a postie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:19:48 pm »
Congratulations on having this behind you!  May God bless your recovery!

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 06:49:35 am »
Congrats Colleen!
Thanks for posting your experiences,, so glad to hear that Vanderbilt lived up to its reputation for you!
 That's helpful for many patients looking into that facility/doctors,,,

Sending wishes for a speedy recovery and hoping you get to go home today!  ;)

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

riabovamd

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:29:01 pm »
So very happy for you, hopefully done for good! Actually your abdominal wall healing will distract your mind from your head, do not dwell on taste and other facial nerve sensations- they will come and go and just mean the nerve is healing.  Keep walking and moving your head! Your abdominal wall will be slow healing because  you do not have much fat.  There will be some fluid that eventually will reabsorb, and your 6 pack will not look the same.  But this is a small price to pay for staying alive.  Good luck with getting back to running!

ColleenS

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:40:39 pm »
I am very grateful for the positive outcome of my surgery. I had such support from friends and family - and my amazing team of doctors and nurses. I do not have one single complaint. The ride the morning after surgery to the MRI and enduring that was very tough when you are throwing up though - that was pretty bad. But, it is over and I am healing. I am six days post-op and doing better every day. I am so grateful to be a postie and yes, I will focus on healing and building up my strength.

ColleenS

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:44:29 pm »
Another update: Well after my last post I did leave the hospital for a day but then was readmitted due to the dreaded CSF leak. I had the lumbar drain inserted (yuk) and hung out most of the next week trying to stabilize all of the fluids. Apparently, I am an overachiever on producing the stuff. So once again I went for another surgery where they really packed it all in tight once again. I was released from Vandie last night and am working on gaining back a bit of strength. I had the wonderful support of my surgeons and nurses and family. I feel grateful and humbled.

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
Sorry to hear about your leak Colleen,,,but sounds like you had a successful repair surgery,,,

Safe travels home and wishes for an uneventful recovery ,,, thank you for posting such positive reviews about Vandy and the doctors,,, it is so helpful to those of us in the SE !!

Peace and let us hear from you in recovery,,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

riabovamd

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »
Coleen, you have to take it easy and do nothing and embrace it.  this is your well deserved downtime.  Read a book, listen to music, enjoy a walk in the park, meditate! Was your leak from the wound or nasal leak?

ColleenS

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:10:05 am »
Thanks for the great advice to rest and heal. I will most definitely be doing that. I was so very weak after the third surgery. I am getting stronger every day. 10 hours after my initial surgery for the AN I had a very large hematoma. I went back to surgery to get that all cleaned out. Afterward I did get a blood transfusion which really helped as well. I have quite the bruising across my entire abdominal wall, but hey it is all good now. My docs said they had not seen this happen in 10 years. They did some removal in ICU and then dealt with the active bleed in surgery. My leak was not from the wound but rather down my throat and nose.