Author Topic: Hair Loss  (Read 3665 times)

Kare

Hair Loss
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:17:51 pm »
I am 4 months post Gamma Knife for my Acoustic Neuroma . (I have am a 52 year old female.) I now have a lot of hair loss on my scalp, which started after the treatment a scaly scalp, and then there a continual loss of hair.

I went to my physician, not my radiation oncologist that did the procedure. The doctor ordered lab work as I thought maybe it was a thyroid problem. Blood work came back fine, except for elevated white blood cells at 13.9, which is not too high. Urinalysis then ordered which was totally fine.

I have never seen anything that suggests that hair loss is a side effect of Gamma Knife. I always have had a very thick head of hair, but now my scalp hair is thinning so much.

Has anyone else had this happen after Gamma Knife. Thank you.

JLR

Re: Hair Loss
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:23:38 pm »
Hi I had CK 2010 and over the years asked the radiologist oncologist if my hair thinning had anything to do with the radiation. The answer was always unlikely. November 2016 had retrosigmoid surgery and although it's not any thinner - my scalp is very itchy. I'm 67 and I use baby shampoo since that has the least ingredients etc.  maybe ask your local beauty salon for a thickening product.  Stay well, Joan

lilith

Re: Hair Loss
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:55:46 am »
Hi,

I was told by my doctors that some hair-loss could occur after radiation.

Lilith
33mmx19mm AN (Diagnosis 5.05.2016)
Radiosurgery in Mexico City: 25.05.2016
Pre and post-radiosurgery: little bit of imbalance, mild hearing-loss, wonky head.