Author Topic: Retrosigmoid Scarring?  (Read 3565 times)

tkane

Retrosigmoid Scarring?
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:59:25 am »
Hey everyone.  This is probably a strange question, but i wanted to put it out there.

For the last 13 years or so I have been razor shaving my head (I am not a big fan a having a bald spot, lol).  I am just curious with scarring from surgery how that may affect shaving.  Will the scar be raised up making shaving difficult? 

I know having a bald spot is of little consequence compared to the overall scheme of things given our situations, but I am hoping that I will be able to continue shaving my head.

Tim
AN found 3/17/17
Scheduled for Retrosigmoid Surgery 5/23/17
Before Surgery: Moderate Hearing Loss, Tinnitus, Minor/Occasional Diziness

JLR

Re: Retrosigmoid Scarring?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:09:08 pm »
Hi the scar will be raised for a bit while it's healing. Eventually I'm guessing it will smooth out. Perhaps you should not be shaving that area until at least sutures are removed and the area has time to heal.  I'm 6 months out and my incision is now pretty smooth. Of course I don't shave my head but my hairdresser tells me it looks good. All the best, Joan

Kristena

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »
I would think it will be okay to shave once the swelling goes down. It might continue to have some smaller scabs for a few weeks and flaking for a couple of months. It will be a conversation starter for sure!  ;)
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Jet747

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:27:48 pm »
Tim,

I too have a nice bald spot, since early 20's and have been shaving my head ever since.  (I'm now 40 and the follicle situation hasn't changed much!)

I had my RS surgery May 2015.

It took awhile to get used to shaving over the scar area mainly due to the fact you lose some sensation on the skin due to the incision. 

In my case the scar really only "raised-up" about 2" below my skull, on the neck portion of my head.

Someone on this forum gave me advise to have cortisone injected into the scar to help with the itching and swelling.  I went to a dermatology center and they put about 5 shots directly into the scar.  It makes a world of difference.  The swelling reduced and the itching subsided.  I highly recommend an injection or two if you have any substantial swelling a year out of surgery.

Best of luck!
Jet

RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0