Author Topic: Do I have an AN? Feedback appreciated!  (Read 1029 times)

Gborges19

Do I have an AN? Feedback appreciated!
« on: October 05, 2023, 05:41:55 pm »

I am 38 years old. I was diagnosed with tinnitus when I was like 16-17 years old. Had an MRI, nothing was found.  I still hear fine, However, whenever I’ve done some hearing tests, the doctor says that I’ve lost some hearing on my tinnitus ear but not enough to impact me.

I had my first panic attack March 19th 2020. Had severe anxiety and constant panic attacks. August 2021 I got surgery because I fractured my wrist. Late 2021 I started developing vestibular disorder. Malls and grocery stores made me feel foggy. It messed with my vision. But now I just have non spinning vertigo. It’s weird to describe but I feel like my body shifts or sways to one side for like a split second and then it goes back to normal. It’s like I lose my balance for a split second internally and then it goes back to normal. Yet, my body doesn’t actually move. This usually happens when I’m tired later in the afternoon. Rarely happens in the morning. I have read and found some things on PPPD. I had an MRI 2 years ago without contrast and they found nothing.
My ENT wants me to have an MRI with contrast to make sure I don’t have an acoustic neuroma so of course I’m freaking out.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced the non spinning vertigo, or any other similarities.

Thank you all! I’m glad there’s a community like this to be able to reach out to. 🙏🏼

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Do I have an AN? Feedback appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 06:25:44 pm »
Are you freaking out about the MRI, the contrast, having an AN, or not having an AN and still not knowing what's going on in your head? Or all of the above?

First of all...breathe.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I for one was EXACTLY where you were....only I did it 14 years ago. If you DO have an AN, you are not alone here and we can support your journey, But until you know, you don't know.

When you know, whatever you find out, you will figure out what to do.

I'm glad you found this group now. We'll be here on the other side of your MRI!!

Marla

Gborges19

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 12:17:42 am »
Freaking out about having an AN.
When you say you were exactly where I was … what do you mean exactly? You had the same symptoms I have and were actually diagnosed with an AN?

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 08:58:33 am »
I meant in the unknowing part of "what is wrong with me?"  I don't know anyone who has had the exact same symptoms as anyone else who had the exact same result, but I also know a few people who had (and continue to have) the same symptoms as you and DON'T have an AN.
I was fortunate that I was in therapy for something else at the time I was diagnosed, so I had someone to listen to me and who helped me process my panic. Do you have a professional you can talk to who will help your anxiety?
Wishing you the best.

Marla

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 01:03:40 pm »
First of all, Gborges19, welcome to the ANA Forums!

It is going to be very difficult to assess whether you have an acoustic neuroma simply by your symptoms.  Symptoms vary from person to person; not everyone shares the same ones.  However, the best way to determine whether your have an acoustic neuroma is by having the MRI.

Even though your last MRI two years ago showed nothing, that does not mean that you do not currently have an acoustic neuroma.  Some ANs grow slowly, and others grow more quickly.  An MRI done today may show something differently than one done two years ago, especially if it was done without contrast.  There is a lot of debate on the use of contrast for MRIs, but many radiologists would say that contrast helps them locate an acoustic neuroma.  Some use contrast just for the initial showing of the acoustic neuroma in the MRI and do not use it later.

In terms of anxiety, I think we all have some at first.  But the best thing to combat it is good information.  Once you have a definite diagnosis one way or the other, then you can take any necessary steps to deal with it.  It is the not knowing part which is the hardest, in my opinion.

Best wishes on your journey!  Please keep us updated.
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

dwilliams35

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 02:12:31 pm »

I am 38 years old. I was diagnosed with tinnitus when I was like 16-17 years old. Had an MRI, nothing was found.  I still hear fine, However, whenever I’ve done some hearing tests, the doctor says that I’ve lost some hearing on my tinnitus ear but not enough to impact me.

I had my first panic attack March 19th 2020. Had severe anxiety and constant panic attacks. August 2021 I got surgery because I fractured my wrist. Late 2021 I started developing vestibular disorder. Malls and grocery stores made me feel foggy. It messed with my vision. But now I just have non spinning vertigo. It’s weird to describe but I feel like my body shifts or sways to one side for like a split second and then it goes back to normal. It’s like I lose my balance for a split second internally and then it goes back to normal. Yet, my body doesn’t actually move. This usually happens when I’m tired later in the afternoon. Rarely happens in the morning. I have read and found some things on PPPD. I had an MRI 2 years ago without contrast and they found nothing.
My ENT wants me to have an MRI with contrast to make sure I don’t have an acoustic neuroma so of course I’m freaking out.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced the non spinning vertigo, or any other similarities.

Thank you all! I’m glad there’s a community like this to be able to reach out to. 🙏🏼
  Main thing at this point is just to chill out until they actually say you've got an AN.  There's a lot of things that can cause this stuff.
Diagnosed 2-2017,  GK 10-2017.

greenamw

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 11:34:51 am »
I haven't experienced exactly what you're describing, but I can totally relate to the anxiety around medical stuff. The waiting game for test results is nerve-wracking. Hopefully, the MRI with contrast brings some clarity, and it's just a weird glitch that can be sorted out.