Author Topic: Other Possible Causes  (Read 1954 times)

Thomas36

Other Possible Causes
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:20:27 am »
This might show up twice (first version was longer), so apologies.  I got a message that I couldn't post it, not sure why...

I'm waiting for my MRI report and wondering if there are any other possible sources/causes of the symptoms I have that led my ENT to send me for an MRI.  He suspects an acoustic neuroma and so do I.  My best friend had one, though her symptoms were somewhat different. 

Mine: some hearing loss, verified by an audio test.  24/7 noise in my ear of various sorts: whooshing and pulsing.  Intermittent ear pain.  Sensitivity to noise and temperature change.  Possibly dizziness, but I'm not entirely sure about that.  Sudden increase in migraines which shouldn't have happened as I've been enjoying migraine reduction in frequency and strength on Topamax.

I'm not engaging in wishful thinking.  I've been researching the options and am very close to a nationally respected AN treatment center. I have marital and family support to get me through whatever is coming. But could there be other causes clustering to make all this happen?  The neurologist who has upped my migraine medication said that after five years, in his opinion, I had gotten used to the low dosage (this was before I saw the ENT and also had my hearing tested).  So there's that.

I do have very bad TMJ which the which the ENT thought might be a contributing factor to my ear pain.

Thanks.

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Re: Other Possible Causes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:29:20 am »
Thomas, it is really hard to know unless you see an AN on an MRI. The symptoms can be from other things as you yourself just mentioned. How much hearing loss? When do you have your MRI scheduled?
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

Willbur

• I will shrink it
Re: Other Possible Causes
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:47:41 am »
Don't be worried. The MRI will tell you. Makes sure they do with contrast though.
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19
1/24 - Surgery Successful
3/6 - MRI/CT Scan No Regrowth