Author Topic: What questions would you ask your neurosurgeon at your pre-op?  (Read 3431 times)

djsunshine21

I have my pre-op consultation scheduled with my neurosurgeon, and wondered if any of you could think of any questions you wished you had asked. I almost feel paralyzed with too much information.

If I had my way of course I wouldn't be having surgery at all, but my tumor almost doubled in 18 months. Now it is 3 x 2.3 cm. Unfortunately my symptoms are still manageable and I have minimal hearing loss, so it makes the prospect of surgery seem really grim.

I know our website has a list of questions here somewhere, and I plan on revisiting that as well since it's been awhile, but wondered if any of you had any thoughts.

My specifics are:

Rapid growth, from my research that is probably due in part to the cyst that developed inside

Minimal symptoms--some balance disturbance that seems to be settling/hyperacusis/minimal hearing loss/being tired more frequently/withdrawing from social situations where noise is bothersome

Monitored for 3 years--normal growth over 18 months/rapid growth over the next 18

I guess I'm not asking for the obvious questions you would ask--just if there is something I might be missing.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: What questions would you ask your neurosurgeon at your pre-op?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:40:49 am »
These are very accurate lists of questions to ask:

https://www.anausa.org/pretreatment/questions-for-your-physician

Best wishes.
Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JLR

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43:50 pm »
Dear Clarice, What a super list of questions. I actually asked all those questions to my surgeons. But that is amazing to see it in black and white. A good thing to copy and carry to ask a surgeon or radiologist. Should be very helpful if one is having CK GK and the like or surgery. Thanks. Joan

djsunshine21

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »
Thanks Clarice!

That was the list I was looking for!

mandihester

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:58 pm »
I had minimal symptoms when I had surgery back in October.  They had actually improved by the time my surgery happened.  I was so dizzy all the time and the fatigue was awful for a while but it all improved so I asked myself why I am having surgery when I feel basically normal again!  I don't regret having it.  I haven't been dizzy since surgery- I've had minor balance issues but vestibular therapy really helped with that.  I do have some hearing loss but it isn't completely gone and I'm getting a hearing aid at the end of the month.  Some days I feel like I can hear great and don't need one.  And honestly when talking to other people I don't have too many issues hearing, it's  more when there is a lot of background noise or someone is right beside that ear.  It still fluctuates a lot.  My biggest complaint is the tinnitus.  When I'm having a bad hearing day, I'm usually having a bad tinnitus day. 
To answer your question though, I used the list from this site.  It was very helpful. 
Best of luck to you!
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues