Author Topic: Is a Hitachi 0.3 Tesla AIRIS II appropriate for diagnosing acoustic neuroma?  (Read 4285 times)

PeterVermont

I just got an MRI but I belatedly learned that an Open MRI 0.3 Tesla machine is not the best choice.

I am waiting on the results but if negative can I trust them? I am afraid that the lesser resolution of this type of machine risks the possibility of a false negative.

Thanks for any replies!

jim j

Hello Peter I am a 2 time acoustic neuroma survivor and I asked that question to a Radiologist at NYU if there is a difference in machines and T1.0-T1.5-T2 and he told me the difference is so slight if any you would not notice it. They are better for other things such has vascular disease and things of that nature but Brain tumors you really don't see a difference. Hope that Helps Jim

PeterVermont

Thank you Jim J. Unfortunately my machine was only 0.3T so I can only hope that his answer still applies down to that range.

jim j

Peter, I think you should call and ask about the difference of images and machines. I know a Neurosurgeon I just contacted at Yale New haven she is a wonderful neurosurgeon and I went to her website and sent an emaiL. I was surprised to receive a phone call from the office. They told me to fax my reports as a 2 time Acoustic Neuroma survivor and a cyst on the facial nerve right where it enters the brain stem I thought I have to stay with my Dr but I need another opinion has they found numerous ischemic lesion to the right of midline within the cerebellar tonsil and elsewhere on the brain 1 yr post Gamma Knife. My regular GP told me to get another opinion has that 1 lesion is in an area that needs to be addressed. My surgeon did not mention it and just wanted me to see another neurosurgeon in the same office. So I sent my information to Dr Veronica Chiang Yale Department of Neurosurgery. and they asked for my MRI images ASAP I just overnighted them today Tax day. I would just recommend you have nothing to loose everything to gain to send her a email from the web-site and call in 2 days after sending and ask them the question they are so nice no charge to me and caring I believe they will answer your question has I do believe it could be an important one. Ok Number is 203-785-2808  GOOD LUCK JIM

PeterVermont

I really appreciate your detailed reply and will follow your advice.

Blw

I think is they did it with contrast (did you have an injection?) and they told the radiologist what to look for, it will light up like a light bulb.

EricC

This is really a question for the radiologist.  I'm not one, but I do work with NMR Spectroscopy (a sibling instrument).  With an increase in field strength you get better resolution/signal.  So the question you want to ask is how small of a tumor can a 0.3T MRI detect.  My tumor was at its smallest 2mm.  Can this see that clear?  Maybe but you also might have to spend 2 hrs in the instrument (because you can increase signal by more scans!). 

I've worked with 18T NMRs and 1.4T NMRs.  There is a huge difference in quality.
4.6 x 3.4 x 2.9 mm (2017)
4.3 x 2.4x 2.5 mm (2016)
3.9 x 2.1 x 2.5 mm (2015)