Author Topic: UPDATE on seeking a competent ophthalmologist for a sceral lens  (Read 3979 times)

tugnutt

I met with Dr. Crystal Remington at Boston Foundation for Sight in Needham MA last week. My husband and I spent 5 days there, as I tried on lenses to deal with my non-blinking left eye.  The first lens was almost perfect, but she tweaked it until it was perfect. The great benefit of going to the Needham location is that they make the lenses there, and you can have the new one in a few hours to test it for comfort and fit. I am now home, wearing my lens and happily seeing clearly (without lubricant)!  We return in July for a follow up visit.

I cannot say enough good things about that organization - superbly run, wonderful kind and knowledgeable staff, and Dr Remington was fantastic. Thank you to those on this bulletin board who supported my continued search for help!!

Kerrybr92

Re: UPDATE on seeking a competent ophthalmologist for a sceral lens
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:16:24 pm »
I am so glad you had a great experience there.  I have worked with them for 5 years in Needham and have been so happy.  They literally changed my quality of life. 
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

JLR

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:18 pm »
I'm going to look into that type of lens. I wear a tri focal so I'm guessing that lens would be clear I had surgery 5 months ago. Also retro sig. Some facial damage waiting g for it to wake up and I keep my eye very lubicated.  Lost right side hearing.  Finally got balance back. The AN surgery very complicated very much a long journey.  Thank goodness for this site. Stay well. Joan oh how long did it take to get your lens.

Kerrybr92

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »
I had surgery in November of 2011.  I waited some time for my facial paralysis to subside but it never fully recovered.  I got an eyelid weight and a lower lid tightening but I still could not close my eye.  So like you, I spent a lot of energy keeping my eye lubricated and could not really see out of it because if it.  I decided in August 2012, about 9 months after surgery that I needed to do more to protect my cornea.  My eye doctor recommended Boston Foundation For Sight.  I had a consult in the end of August and went for the fitting in early September. We had a little trouble getting the perfect fit but in the end it was worth all the time, energy and money spent on the process.  I have now worn the same lens for over four years. I go back about once a year for a check up.

I can not say enough good things about the staff and the organization.  They have their primary location in Needham MA but they have satellite offices though out the country unusually at large teaching hospitals.

Good luck.
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

tugnutt

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:08:55 pm »
JLR, if you go to Boston Foundation for Sight for a scleral lens,they make the lenses there - down the hall from where you will meet with the doctor. They can make a new one in a few hours.  I was easy to fit; the first lens was pretty good, but they made a few minor modifications to make it even better.  I had the lens I ultimately took home the 2nd day I was there.  We spent 5 days total with them, getting rechecks on the fit  and I was trained how to insert the lens, remove and clean it.

I am confident that if you need to pursue a scleral lens, they can help you.  Good luck!