Author Topic: any natural remedies to stop growth of AN?  (Read 16716 times)

cedmonds

any natural remedies to stop growth of AN?
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:22 pm »
I am interested to see if anyone has been trying natural medicine in hopes of stopping the growth of or shrinking an AN. Has anyone been successful? I am an acupuncturist and am hoping I can accomplish this but realize there is a small chance but still a chance. There are cases where the AN does not grow or actually shrinks. Does anyone have any stories to share or any natural remedies that may be helpful in accomplishing this? I am currently taking chinese herbs to break up tumors, doing acupuncture, taking concentrated green tea extract and curcumin and apricot seed kernels. I will also begin soon craniosacral therapy (my friend who is a pt knows people who say craniosacral therapy can shrink ANs). I tried medical CBD but it made me depressed so I stopped that. Just curious if there are any like minded people who have had success with any natural medicine. I've read about the NZ Bio30 Propolis but not sure if this works to shrink ANs on humans (read about it with mice). Of course, I realize surgery is very possible and I'm open to that if necessary. But I'm an optimist and would like to try some natural things while I'm in the watch and wait group in hopes of a miracle happening. Thanks for sharing.

researcher

Re: any natural remedies to stop growth of AN?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:19 pm »
When I was first diagnosed with an AN my doctor recommended taking aspirin. I didn't try aspirin therapy since I chose surgery due to my many symptoms.

Here's an article that might support the aspirin theory.

http://www.hearingreview.com/2015/02/nsaids-may-halt-growth-vestibular-schwannomas/

Good luck to you!

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 04:14:39 pm »
I'm taking 1/4 table of aspiring per day (75 mg/day). My first follow-up MRI (6 months) is on Saturday, so we'll see what the growth profile is beginning to look like.

It was my decision to commence taking aspirin. It is well tolerated and has other benefits to do with heart health. The only concern is gastric bleeding, which is why I take a quarter tablet rather than full strength per day.

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:24 pm »
I'm glad you posted this article about aspirin.  I shall begin with a baby aspirin tonight.

cedmonds

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:50:11 pm »
Thanks so much. This is really helpful and I think I'll start taking aspirin. I was not totally clear what the difference is between aspirin, sodium salicylate (NaSal), and 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA). Any idea?  I imagine aspirin is the only one of these three that can be bought over the counter. To ANSydney, I'm hoping for good results for your MRI this Saturday. My 6 month follow up is in May. I'm curious to hear how things turned out for you. Thank you Researcher for sharing this article. I wonder if it makes a difference if we take baby aspirin vs. adult aspirin?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:31:36 am »
Hi All .....

Interesting discussion on natural remedies .....  Just remember to make sure your primary care doctor and/or pharmacist knows everything you are taking, including prescription meds, herbs, vitamins, and supplements, so you do not have any unwanted interactions in medications. Sometimes even the time of day we ingest something or with/without food can make a big difference in the results.

Also, a tiny reminder that this forum is made up of AN patients and caregivers, not medical professionals, so we need to be "up front" with our individual doctors when starting something new.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

voron999

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:02 am »
Hi there!

Please do understand that the commercially sold Aspirin is compatible to the naturally occurring Salicylic Acid.
So what you really are talking about is synthetically made salicylic acid.
The "aspirin" is a commercial name, NOT a real chemical that exists in nature.
So now, IF one talks about about natural remedies, one should be talking of foods that contain salicylic acid.

For example:
A 100-gram serving (about 3 /4 cup) of red raspberries contains around 5 milligrams of salicylic acid.
From http://berryhealth.fst.oregonstate.edu/health_healing/fact_sheets/

Now, I understand that for most people just taking over-the- counter aspirin is the best option (and this is fine and personal choice).
But this is not really a natural remedy, to be really technical.
So I am just stating it here and now.  :)

And while at it, from: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/27-foods-that-contain-natural-aspirin.html

.........consider the many fruits, vegetables, and herbs that contain natural aspirin.....

Apples
Avocados
Blueberries
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cherries
Chili peppers
Cucumbers
Currants (including dried currants)
Dates
Eggplant
Figs
Grapefruit
Grapes
Kiwi
Licorice (the herb, not the candy)
Meadowsweet (an herb)
Paprika
Peaches
Plums and prunes
Radishes
Raspberries
Spinach
Strawberries
Turmeric (the spice)
Willow bark
Zucchini
Jan 11, 2016: 4 x 3 mm nodule in the left ......consistent with an acoustic neuroma.

Blw

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 12:48:16 pm »
Look in the analgesic aisle at drug stores for heart specific aspirin. They have different levels, I think starting at around 80 mg, but there are higher dosages besides regular, which I think is 250 mg. Children's aspirin may be less than 80.

ANSydney

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:21:39 pm »
At 5 mg of salicylic acid per 100 g of raspberries, you would need to eat 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) of raspberries per day to equal a quarter-tablet or baby aspirin dose [may need an adjustment between saliclylic acid and aspirin weights). That's a lost of raspberries! And perhaps expensive.

Much more convenient to just take a quarter tablet or baby strength tablet per day.

ANSydney

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 04:30:41 pm »
Also, you need to discontinue aspirin before surgery (but then if you've elected for surgery, you no longer need to try stop your tumor from growing).

cedmonds

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »
Thanks for sharing the list of fruits and vegetables containing naturally occurring salicylic acid. I already eat many of them but will for sure add some others. And yes, I started this post about natural remedies but aspirin came up in it which is not from nature yet it is an alternative treatment in a sense compared to surgery or radiation and I would much rather take a daily dose of baby aspirin than have surgery. Thanks again.

ANSydney

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 04:56:35 pm »
I can think of a million things I would prefer to having a hole drilled into my skull!

cedmonds

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 08:48:13 pm »
I started the aspirin today. Bought the 81mg chewables to take one daily. Not sure if the regular pill is better but these remind me of the baby aspirin I took when I was a kid. Nothing to lose!

voron999

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 10:16:16 am »
At 5 mg of salicylic acid per 100 g of raspberries, you would need to eat 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) of raspberries per day to equal a quarter-tablet or baby aspirin dose [may need an adjustment between saliclylic acid and aspirin weights). That's a lost of raspberries! And perhaps expensive.

Much more convenient to just take a quarter tablet or baby strength tablet per day.

Agreed; I stated exactly this.

However, people must be aware that they already consume some Salicylic Acid in their foods (diet dependent, of course).
I, for example, have my own small raspberry plantation and raspberry tea is pretty much a winter staple for us (the leaves have some of that too).
But also, keep in mind, that the dry raspberries are much more concentrated per the weight.
The dry raspberries are well-known old time remedy for cold symptoms due to their significant amount of Salicylic Acid.
This make a great tea, btw, for every day use.
The raspberries are so easy to grow, I highly recommend to just have them in your backyard

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:20:24 am by voron999 »
Jan 11, 2016: 4 x 3 mm nodule in the left ......consistent with an acoustic neuroma.

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 05:53:28 pm »
I wonder how much sugar is in the tea.  Dried fruits have a pretty high concentration, which is not good for those of us with a tendency for insulin resistance.  Perhaps in a tea form the sugar is less.