Author Topic: New here! Having the Symptoms... MRI Soon...  (Read 4414 times)

uhohSpaghettio

New here! Having the Symptoms... MRI Soon...
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:22:39 pm »
Hey all!

About a year and a half ago I experienced Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss in my left ear and doc prescribed Prednisone course with taper at the end. After day 5 hearing started coming back and by the end of the course I was back to normal. Never did get the MRI then (well I tried, I showed up and the MRI machine broke so... never got around to going back since I was back to normal).

I had no issues for a little over a year and 6 months... then.... Two weeks ago..

My hearing starting diminishing again in the left ear so I immediately went to ENT and was put on another course of Prednisone (60mg for 14 days and then tapered after that).

This time around the symptoms are a bit different. I've had bouts of roaring tinnitus and the hearing has fluctuated from bad to just "ok" on some days, but so far the hearing hasn't returning to "normal" yet.

As an aside, two weeks prior to my most recent symptoms, I was exposed to a gunshot (police were called for a rabid animal in my yard). I was about 15 ft away and my left ear rang after the shot. Next day I seemed to be ok... but then two weeks later hearing started diminishing over a period of 2-3 days. Now voices sound muffled on bad days.

The MRI is coming up so naturally I'm freaking out and automatically assuming I have an Acoustic Neuroma. I know symptoms can vary greatly, I just was hoping to get some opinions on the matter from experienced peeps! Can AN cause fluctuating hearing on a daily basis? Would AN go dormant for a year and a half and then come back with the similar symptoms?

Hearing loss is the only symptom I have so far, no dizziness, no vertigo, no facial paralysis.

Thanks all! I think it's great places like this exist for people to come and talk with others!

ANSydney

Re: New here! Having the Symptoms... MRI Soon...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:55:58 pm »
Hi uhohSpaghettio, welcome to the forum. I hope you don't have to join the AN club. The MRI will tell you what is going on.

In answer to the question, "Would AN go dormant for a year and a half and then come back with the similar symptoms?", the answer is yes. ANs can have all sorts of growth patterns.

uhohSpaghettio

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:05:14 am »
Thanks for the reply!

Having the MRI done today, I should know if its AN within a day or two. My current symptoms are so strange. Muffled hearing most of the time but it can vary greatly. I can wake up and have it feel completely "full" and muffled, then experience roaring tinnitus which then seems to alleviate the fullness feeling and my hearing starts to get better. Never approaching 100% hearing but there have been days where it's been close.

Extremely frustrating and its been an up and down 2/3 weeks.

uhohSpaghettio

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »
MRI done...

"Normal appearance of CP angles and IACS. No abnormal enhancement to suggest vestibular schwannoma, otherwise normal MRI appearance of the brain".

Good news, but now still have to figure out whats going on with the hearing!

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »
Congrats on normal MRI, ( I hope Dr ordered it with and w/o the contrast agent,, an injection half way through,, so you got a thorough view) ,, know you are relieved except no explanation of hearing issues,, ::)

Maybe ear issues will resolve with some time,, good luck,,

translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ANSydney

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
Congratulatino uhohSpaghettio! Build up of earwax?

uhohSpaghettio

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:23:21 pm »
Yes it was done with contrast halfway through.

I wish wax was all it was! I have a followup Friday, steroid injections are on the table...

Anyone have experience with the injections?

Houdoni

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 01:03:38 pm »
I had 60mg of prednisone each day plus shots in the ear, but all that stopped once the diagnosis was AN / vestibular schwannoma.