Author Topic: Headache solution ?  (Read 11199 times)

tony

Headache solution ?
« on: November 08, 2006, 02:52:50 pm »

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days.
It all started when my wife started to complain of frequent headaches
She has no AN, or OP history – but it was a mystery nonetheless.
Recently a Chiropractitioner(?) has diagnosed that she has a problem with posture.  In other words a poor sitting position, either when driving, or at the desk, or watching television is causing stress or strain on the neck or spine which then leads to headaches. Amazingly the pain seems to be in the head - but is caused elsewhere
She has been taking pain-killers and they work for awhile – but the headaches always return.
In the case of an AN survivor – particularly where the balance nerve has gone – it may be the case that the person is unaware that the body is slightly tilted – which would then cause a posture related headache.
A clue might be if you had massage – and then lost the headache
-or went swimming and did not get the headaches at all
You could take painkillers but since the cause is ongoing, the pain will return
The more long-term solution would involve some quite simple posture related exercises – there are quite easy exercises that would assist both with posture and easier neck movement – we are not talking a Mike Tyson workout – but some simple movements with a broom  handle (or similar) that could be done at home
Just a suggestion
Best Regards
Tony

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: Headache solution ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:31:19 pm »
Hi Tony,

I think you are secretly studying to become a Doc. You always have the best posts with the greatest information. Thanks for always coming up with good stuff. Very good point you make here.  As a matter of fact, My headaches are relieved a bit after a massage which I get at my chiropractor's office. A neck adjustment and massage primarily on my neck and shoulders does a world of good, but they do come back.  I have noticed that since my surgery it is habit to sleep on my back with my head dropped over to my non AN side.And  I talk on the phone on my non AN side, sometimes holding the phone with my shoulder (not good for neck/headach problems) And just the surgery alone had my neck over twisted to the non An side for 7 hours. So over all what is happening is the neck muscles on the non AN side are shortened and the An side are streached out, So when trying to keep the head truned to the AN side, It feels like it is pulling the non An side. This can create headaches, although mine are multi symptomatic.  But the massage is helping to try and train the muscles to stay where they are suppose to be.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:07:37 pm »
I had an amazing Physical Therapist work on my neck and upper back 3x a week for almost 3 months last year, which is when I started to turn the corner with my post-op headache nightmare. I still struggle with them, but it is much better. The bad ones almost always start out with neck pain and stiffness.  I've been on and off muscle relaxers since surgery--currently on Skelaxin. It's all about those proprioceptors!! Those are the muscles and ligaments that make up the three part balance system of the body--inner ear, visual, and musculo-skeletal. When that inner ear goes, as in the case of an AN, the body has to rely more on the remaining two--at least on the one side--and they become over-stressed.

Working as an artist, my eyes are really busy concentrating on slapping the paint in the right place and aren't helping with the balance at all, the durn things, so it falls to those neck and upper back muscles to keep me from being a bobblehead and from falling over and they get really stressed. Stretching a lot helps.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

tony

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:20:22 pm »
The stretching/massage success is a real giveaway
- I am not saying it doesnt hurt - it clearly does !
But the cause is stress/tension/posture and of course ...balance
Bascially if you/I/we sort out the source then the symptoms
will go away
Happy day
Best regards
Tony
ps not only I am I not a doc - but I gave up biology when I was 13,
...just about 3mths before it gave up on me !

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:40:43 pm »
Hi Tony,

I think you are right about a relationship between headaches and neck problems. I worked at job for 19 years where I spent a great deal of time looking at fetal monitors with my head tilted far to the left in order to read graft paper read-outs. (12 hour shifts.) I also think the AN caused me to compensate by changing my posture to help with balance. (not in a good way.)  I think the position in surgery aggrevated an existing problem. I get Botox in my neck and shoulders for headaches and this really allows me to correct the position of my neck and stretch the muscles since they are more relaxed. I feel like things are straightening out. I think home neck traction would help but I can't do it since I am in a Botox study and agreed not to use certain treatment while in the study. I use a lot of heat on my neck too. Thanks for your ideas!

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 09:33:03 am »
Hi,

As for headaches here.....yes, bent head for typing when I was a private secretary, studying for lots of schooling.....dentistry, manicurist, paralegal, etc.  I still take the 30 mg spray of Imitrex spray if needed on the road or have a 100 mg pill of the stuff, if the migraine is really bad.  I gave up coffee over three months ago.  Ambien didn't help with headaches.  I have used Valium for sleeping for five nights in a row and NO HEADACHE in the morning.  I'm thrilled, so far.  I get migraines from redwood trees (tannic acid) and molds.  There is all that in my yard.  I'm the highest ever tested in this area to be allergic to redwood trees and molds.  I need to move back to LA.  Yuck!  I don't want to go back there.  I don't much care for the desert.  I'm still stressing about what they will or won't give me when CK time comes for the swelling since, nothing but.......the steroids work for that.  I'm HIGHLY allergic to that, too.  (and Vicryl sutures.......so, no traditional surgery for me on this AN thing and I hope I never have to do that)  I can hardly wait until Dec. 2nd when the CK will be over for me.  I will go for my MRI checks to make sure the thing isn't growing.  The bottom line; I'm happy to be off coffee.  (no cokes or drugs with caffeine in it, either........not lately, anyway)

Good luck you all with headaches.......I usually have 20 a month.........Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

sirialison

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:50:56 am »
Perhaps you might want to visit the Postural Restoration Institute  website for information  on the headache/posture connection. Amazingly enough, in my teeny, tiny rural neck of the woods there are several qualifed physical therapists who offer this type of treatment...

http://www.posturalrestoration.com/

I'm being treated for Visual Midline Shift Syndrome which also has a headache connection there is alot of information about it on the NORA (Neuro-Optometric rehabilitation Association) website if anyone is interested in that.

http://www.nora.cc/patient_area/visual_midline_shift_syndrome

seek and ye shall find....sometimes you have to find your own aftercare, especially in the deep dark regions of northern minnesota

Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 07:22:22 pm »
I never had a headache in my life until surgery. Post surgery (4 years), I have a touchy stomach coz of all the anti inflam meds, my head has been a pin cushion thats full of steroids, I get physio on the area and I still get the rotten headaches.

Anyone know of a good second hand head shop?

laz

p.s, sorry, didn't want to sound angry but just needed to "kick the cat"

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 11:06:07 pm »
Laz,  The blasted headaches get quit tiring, I know.  go ahead and kick the cyber cat.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year