Author Topic: Mini Article Review: microsurgery or radiosurgery  (Read 2707 times)

ANSydney

Mini Article Review: microsurgery or radiosurgery
« on: February 07, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »
I just finished reading a recent abstract (J Neurosug 2016 Dec) that the community may find interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27035174 . I call it a mini review since I've only got, and therefore read, the abstract.

The article compares microsurgery (MS) to stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) for tumors ≤ 2.8 cm in diameter.

My summary is:

n = 399 patients
Preservation of preoperative Class A hearing: 14.3% MS, 42.9% SRS
Serviceable hearing preservation: 42.8% MS. 85.7% SRS
Facial nerve dysfunction (HB III-IV): 11% MS, 0% SRS
Need for subsequent intervention: same (2 patients for MS and SRS)

The follow up time, particularly for SRS was short. It would be interesting to see how things change after 5 year and 10 years. I suspect that hearing will continue to decline, but facial nerve and subsequent intervention figures would remain unchanged. Stereotactic radiosurgery appears to be a clear winner for tumors ≤ 2.8 cm in diameter. No mention of CSF leak, hydrocephalus, headaches, trigeminal nerve dysfunction, meningitis or possibility of malignant transformation in the abstract.

What I'm reading here is consistent with previous reading.

Abetpds

Re: Mini Article Review: microsurgery or radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:47:14 pm »
So based on this study, a 2.7cm tumor could be a candidate?  I was told that my tumor would swell and causeproblems.
Regina

ANSydney

Re: Mini Article Review: microsurgery or radiosurgery
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:15:17 pm »
Up to 3.0 cm, most will treat with Gamma Knife.