Author Topic: Follow up post surgery, Lyrica recommended/ Trigeminal Neuralgia  (Read 3655 times)

mroker

Follow up post surgery, Lyrica recommended/ Trigeminal Neuralgia
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:21:37 am »
Good Morning folks, today I had a post surgery follow up. I had my surgery in LA with House (Slattery & Schwartz) and I live in the Bahamas so I am now going to my local surgeon here.  On my visit, the doctor said that after 3 months the numbness in my face should be going away and that I should start taking Lyrica as I told him that sometimes I experience swelling in the face and it is uncomfortable. He said that Lyrica should help with the numbness and swelling and should help the numbness to go away. He also said that he doesn't want me to develop Trigeminal Neuralgia and this should help. This was news to me, and as much as I have been on this forum I haven't heard of anyone using it. Anyway, I am just checking to see if anyone here is using this medication, or heard of it. Would be great for some help here :)
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Re: Follow up post surgery, Lyrica recommended/ Trigeminal Neuralgia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »
Let me be the first to tell you all about my trigeminal neuralgia, the worst pain you will ever experience (if you are unlucky enough to develop it.)  Mine was caused by my AN growing just enough to squash an artery, which in turn offended the nerve.  When I had it removed I also asked for an MVD (Microvascular decompression) wherein the surgeon inserts pieces of teflon between the offending artery and the nerve.

For years I took the gold standard drug for TN, namely tegretol (also known as carbamazapine.)  When the pain grew so intense that the tegretol wasn't doing the trick, I asked for Lyrica, having read about it on my TN support group site.  I didn't want to take it because a VERY common side effect is weight gain.  But I took it anyway.  It did not help; on the bright side, I didn't gain weight, probably because eating was too painful!

But your case is entirely different.  I'm a bit curious--usually steroids are prescribed for swelling.  Lyrica is a nerve medication and I'm wondering why it would be prescribed instead of tegretol, which does pretty much the same thing only in a more specified locale.  Tegretol is processed through the liver, whereas Lyrica is not, so that might be a consideration for you.  Also, tegretol can make you drowsy at first, but then so can Lyrica.  I've never heard of taking either drug prophylactically.

Ask Schwartz.  I'd trust him more than Bahama doctor.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:27 pm »
I agree with Sharonov's advice to contact Dr Schwartz as that is who should know how to help you.

I do take Lyrica but not for AN issues. Have gained some weight too unfortunately,,,,, it may help as it deadens nerve endings but don't know if that is what you need. I would imagine Dr Schwartz would respond to you. Dr in the Bahamas may not have much experience with symptoms from these tumors,, I don't know.

Good luck and let us know how you get.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

sharonov

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:42 pm »
One further consideration with Lyrica is that it's VERY expensive, at least here in the States.  The one prescription I bought was $400.  But again, I can't see why you'd take such a powerful drug when you don't even have what it treats.

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:17:38 pm »
Mine only costs me $25 a month through a discount savings card from manufacturer,,, and my insurance,, but still I agree  you may not need to take it for your symptoms,,,,

translab Oct 27, 2011

sharonov

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:09 pm »
Wow!  And I have Medicare D. 

mroker

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
Thank you so much for the responses here. It's why I am confused. I do not have TN, just numbness and sensitivity on my AN side. Also, it does get a bit painful when it gets inflamed, but hearing about the symptoms of TN which others state on this forum, I am sure I don't have it.
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 05:32:38 pm »
Mroker,
I just noticed while looking up Lyrica, that it is indicated for use for TN,, rarely but it is. Mostly for fibromyalgia and seizures but also TN,,, just wanted to mention that as your Dr recommended it,,,
translab Oct 27, 2011