Author Topic: FSR treatment  (Read 2199 times)

amg1099

FSR treatment
« on: January 27, 2017, 08:26:11 am »
Hello All - anyone here who just had FSR radiation done.  Pros and cons please?  Recommended by a radiation oncologist from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Dr. Shi.  Size of my AN is 9.9x5 MM.  I'm turning 40 this coming July.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:44:04 am by amg1099 »

Cruzinpa

Re: FSR treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:11:15 am »
Hello, I'm not sure if this is helpful but I recently had retrosig at Jefferson. I did meet with dr. Shi first who I was extremely impressed with and told me that my AN (4cm) was too big for FSR alone. I had the surgery and plan on going back for the FSR treatments in about 6 months. I very much liked Dr. Shi and I wish you the best.

Blw

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 11:21:02 am »
I think they will likely suggest surgery because of your age. There is a lot of good data on radiation, and it has been around for decades. But with an average life expectancy of another 30 years or so, that may be to far out for the doctors being comfortable with the tumor being controlled for that long. Many people may also suggest cancer as another reason, but I think if there were high frequency incidences it would be known by now. On the otherhand, the way they treat these things in 20 years will almost certainly be quite different from what they do now.

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:12:03 pm »
amg1099, welcome to the club nobody wants to be a member of, but everyone is friendly. At 9.9x5 mm your tumor is small. Talk to a few doctors. I think wait-and-watch will probably be recommended. At least initially, if your tumor is small, it is useful to establish the natural growth rate. Most tumors don't grow, the first follow-up MRI is highly predictive of future growth the longer you've had your symptoms, the less likely it is to grow.