Author Topic: Facial recovery  (Read 3621 times)

JLR

Facial recovery
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:07 am »
Good morning. Has anyone tried or heard of Electric Stimulation.  Is that something that helps te facial nerves quicker to recover? I heard about this. Want to know your thoughts. Thanks. Joan I'm 2 months post op retrosig. Now deaf in right ear. Right side of face paralyzed although very slowly coming back and a ver dry eye although it now can close. I'm a mess!  But grateful I'm able to write this   

researcher

Re: Facial recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:18:00 am »
Hi! You should wait for at least 6 months to a year before trying electrical stimulation. You don't want to "confuse" the nerves. Personally, I wouldn't do it at all.

I woke up after AN surgery deaf in that ear and HB 6. No facial movement and eye wouldn't close. I am now more than a year out and my face looks nearly normal. I did gentle massage on my face.

Good luck with your recovery.

Take care,
Researcher

JLR

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:11:47 am »
Thanks for the quick response. What kind of massages.  I do have some ex erises I received from my therapist. Thanks

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:03:29 am »
I agree Joan,, I was told not to do any electrical stimulation as it wopill lead to synkinesis,,, (nerve functioning improperly),   Give it time to heal and massaging gently with your own hand will probably help. That's what I did anyway and developed A LOT of patience  ::)

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

researcher

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 01:35:45 pm »
Regarding the facial massage and exercises: Look on youtube for "exercises for Bell's Palsy". They help. At least feel like you are doing something to get better. Unfortunately, you will have to be patient while your nerves regenerate. (If that's the right term.)

I didn't take photos of my facial recovery. You could take a photo every week or two while smiling and raising eyebrows and closing your eye. If your nerves are recovering then the photos help you realize that. Or take video of yourself doing these movements.