Author Topic: Hyper Sensitive Hearing and Tinnitus in GOOD ear?  (Read 2206 times)

Richardspengler

Hyper Sensitive Hearing and Tinnitus in GOOD ear?
« on: December 25, 2016, 02:43:21 pm »
Hi Everone,
I am only 12 days past surgery and have developed an unexpectant and disturbing symptom. I had tinnitus in AN ear prior to surgery and it seems to be slightly worse post surgery. My more disturbing symptom is that in the past few days I have developed mild tinnitus in my good ear. My hearing was close to perfect prior to surgery and no tinnitus in good ear. My good ear is also hyper sensitive to noise. I need earplugs because noises that are not soft cause me to cringe. I have seen posts that discuss development of tinnitus in non-AN ear but I don't think I have seen any comment on whether the non-AN ear hearing issues resolve with time.

So, does the non-AN ear tinnitus and sensitivity resolve with time? Please tell me yes!!  :)

==================
MRI on 11/21/16 revealed AN on right side of 1.8 x 2.4 x 2.0 cm
Symptoms:  facial numbness, tinnitus, "brain fog", fatigue and general unwell feeling

Retrosig surgery at USC with Dr Freidman on Dec 13, 2016
SSD on right, facial weakness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Hyper Sensitive Hearing and Tinnitus in GOOD ear?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:14:20 am »
Hi Richardspengler .....

At 12 days post-op, you are still in full recovery mode where things change/improve on a regular basis ..... so it is a bit early to tell what your final outcome might be re the tinnitus and hypersensitivity issue.

What I can tell you is my own personal experience.  I never had tinnitus in either ear before my first AN surgery.  As a musician it was upsetting to me to not only lose more hearing, but to also develop the "triangle banging" tinnitus.  Like you, at the same time, my good, non-AN ear began to over compensate by perceiving sounds way too loud.  At some point, early on, I discussed this with my audiologist at the time, who had a custom-made musician's earplug made for me for my good ear.  It has a 15db filter in it to remove the aggravating high pitched sounds.  It works well for me in situations where I know I will be exposed to loud noises (concerts, etc.).  Because hearing is a brain thing, it often is a matter of re-training the brain to know how to handle incoming sounds.

I wish I could tell you the tinnitus and hypersensitivity went away.  For me it did not, but getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and keeping caffeine intake to a minimum certainly helps me.

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011