Author Topic: Facial nerve recovery after a year  (Read 8570 times)

Vlorona

Facial nerve recovery after a year
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:08:42 pm »
Hello all!
I'm about 14 months in with facial paralysis And my Nuerologist mentioned to me that I prop got as much function back that I'm gonna get. Around 5 months in I noticed movement in my face and was so excited thinking I will completely heal. I could almost close my eye all the way and my cheek moves a bit but not enough to smile n show teeth. Well around 7 months I started to notice synkinesis. Seems like I have the eye/ mouth synkinesis. My eye squints when I try n smile or pucker my lips. My cheek raises when I blink and I have a dimple in my chin. I started NMR therapy in October with a Dr who was trained by Jackie diehls. My dimple in my chin seems to not b as big when puckering my lips Now but that's all I've noticed so far. I'm just a little bummed about the nuerogist comments :(. My otologist I seen back in Jan said the nerve usually heals up to 18 months. I'm trying to be hopeful that I will get some more movement soon but it's just so hard to be hopeful. I just want to smile again and eat somewhat normal again. It's so hard to eat with not very good movement in my cheek and I can only chew food on non affected side. I was hoping I would recover Alot sooner as my paralysis was not immediate(took about 3 days)I had no drooping to my face initially(I have always looked normal with no facial expression) and I have always been able to keep my eye shut if I nudged it shut
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:25:16 pm by Vlorona »

ccooper

Re: Facial nerve recovery after a year
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:26:42 pm »
Exact same situation but I'm just 11 months. My face went paralyzed the day after so we knew the nerve was intact. I have about the same movement as you but sounds like a bit more mouth movement. Just last week I talked to two neurosurgeons who said 12-24 months and that really, if you are still progressing that's all that matters. And that sometimes you go weeks and months without any progress and then you'll get movement somewhere. So there is still a lot of hope. But I've also explored what the next steps would be if I didn't advance so I know my options and feel a bit optimistic if things didn't continue to improve. best of luck to you
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Vlorona

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 01:56:16 pm »
I sure hope I get some new movement soon! I know my face will never be the same but would love to at least show some teeth n a partial smile. I've seen a few ppl who had major improvements In their smile from 1 year after all the way till 3 years after so I know it's possible. I haven't seen any changes or more movement since month 5 well except the synkinesis becoming more pronounced. I guess I really need to be patient but it's so hard knowing it's really unpredictable how much recover one can get

Rhcdad

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 01:27:36 pm »
I am approximately 14 months post trans-lab surgery and had facial weakness post-surgery.  I to have developed synkinesis on my surgery side. I cannot speak clearly and have the facial dimple that I have heard others mention. I have recently started facial exercises per my PT maybe getting Botox injections in the future, time will tell what my future has in store for me, perhaps additional surgeries I don’t know. These times are challenging but I am glad to read that I am not alone in this new journey I am on. Stay strong!
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

Sanderson

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:11:40 am »
So what happened to everyone? Improvement? Surgery? What decisions were made?
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

Kaci

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:42:32 pm »
I had surgery July 2017 so 20 months now. I still produce no tears and I’m very sensitive to bright sun like when I drive and it’s super bright out it seems to effect my facial nerves. I think I still see improvement, at one point I couldn’t drink out of a straw, use mouthwash without it spilling out of my mouth, had trouble pronouncing certain words without slurring and all this has improved. The doctors say I may still see more improvement, I am hoping that atleast I will have tears back that probably bothers me the most. I am going for Botox treatments soon, the plastic surgeon said he can lift my brow, get rid of the dimple many of us seem to get, help with the puffiness that I still slightly have. Curious if anyone has Botox stories to share

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:21 am »
My 2 cents,

I am four and a half months since RS procedure with zero improvement. I have been told to wait up to 8 or 9 months during recently visit (that's another 4/5 months) then seek eletro-stimulation sessions if things don't improve and then consider facial reanimation procedures if eletro-stimulation does not work.
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:20:25 am »
I have found some great helpers for our dry eye. Moisture chamber glasses - they make them for indoor and outdoor. That has saved me from having to tape and patch my eye as often. I have reduced my brightness on the computer, which helps a lot (I work on a computer all day). I watched a YouTube video on facial exercises to help and I do them periodically during the day. I also take eye vitamins (Lutein 40 mg.) - this one really helps with moisture.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still