Author Topic: Finally--Surgery, Retrosigmoid, on December 12  (Read 3818 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Finally--Surgery, Retrosigmoid, on December 12
« on: December 03, 2016, 08:43:17 am »
After 12 years of watch-and-wait, since my tumor is pressing on the trigeminal nerve and causing me a level of pain I can't live with anymore, I am choosing all the possible side effects that could result from a retrosigmoid surgery.  Thanks to this forum, I know that either Friedman or Schwartz are my best hope for avoiding these side effects.  I ended up with Schwartz because House was more efficient at giving me a date--also because I learned that it's Schwartz who actually deals with the tumor itself.  Probably best in the world, right?  Anyhow, I'm going in with that thought and attitude is important.

It's a weird time, which means I'll be in L.A. over Christmas, but I'll have my whole family here!  Husband will be here the whole time, of course.  Daughter will fly out on the 23rd.  And our son & his family take turns going to L.A. or Chicago for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and this year it's our D.I.L's turn to spend Christmas with her family--in Los Angeles!!  How perfect is that?

So I am staying positive and now just have to deal with the trigeminal neuralgia for the time remaining (9 days!)  I learned that walking helps so am racking up new records on my Fitbit.  Just so happens that I have my hair appointment on Tuesday, the day before I leave!  That fits right in.  No gray roots to deal with for awhile.

So now I spend my time reading positive stories from people who have been through this.  I went into "post surgery" and there were lots of depressing sounding stories, so I'm not going to read those.  Thank you again for everyone who has helped.  I'll post again after surgery, and hopefully I can put it in this, more positive, thread.

ccooper

Re: Finally--Surgery, Retrosigmoid, on December 12
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:33:20 pm »
House is great. Christmas in LA is great. You'll do great. Positive attitude will help so much! I had a very large tumor removed at House in July with great results, no complaints, back to work in three weeks. Positive thoughts coming your way.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

sharonov

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 09:14:23 am »
Thank you so much!  Did you have Schwarts/Wilkinson?

michellef08

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:54:40 am »
Good luck! I definitely think maintaining a positive attitude helps! I had a great outcome from House  - they preserved my hearing, and I had no balance or facial issues! My best advice is to try your best to really relax while you recover. It will make your recovery quicker and easier if you can really take it easy. Let your family take care of the house/meals/each other if possible! I was back to work full-time in 6 weeks and have never looked back!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

Jet747

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:00:33 pm »
Sharonov,

You will do great.  December 12 is a special day, your very lucky to have your surgery that day.  Frank Sinatra & Bob Barker were born on December 12th!

Best wishes...keep us posted.
Jet
RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0

Citiview

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 05:40:26 pm »
Sharonov

Good luck with your surgery. I'll be thinking of you.
I'm happy that your planets aligned and you were able to go to the institution that you wanted.
Sounds like it was meant to be.
It must be difficult to live in such pain. Hopefully that will be resolved.

sharonov

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:44:16 am »
Sharonov,

You will do great.  December 12 is a special day, your very lucky to have your surgery that day.  Frank Sinatra & Bob Barker were born on December 12th!

Best wishes...keep us posted.
Jet
Wow, that's it!!!  I've always loved Frank's voice--who knows, maybe I'll be able to phrase a line like does after the 12th!!