Author Topic: Surgical Record  (Read 14896 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Surgical Record
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:07:22 am »
Hi Guys,

A while back I asked a question about getting copies of my medical records so that I can read about what happened during my surgery. You guys had mentioned that there was something called "surgical records" I think? that I could get a copy of from my Neurosurgeon? Can you remind me what it is that I should ask him for? I have an appointment with him on Wednesday and I'd like to get a copy of whatveverrecord it is   :)

Thanks

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Surgical Record
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:16:32 am »
Scott,
  The "Surgical Record" is correct.  It's a description of what happened during surgery, what surgeons were involved,  step by step, and any notable things that occurred.  I asked my Neurosurgeon's admin person for a copy of my Surgical Record.  It was an interesting read.
  Maybe we could start a thread listing some surgical records for general interest.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 10:16:55 am »
they (the doctors) "report" to fill out after each surgery .. and it becomes part of the record .. they dont always give you a copy unless you ASK for it .. and commonly has details you did not know about !! it will have doctor lingo and such ...

normally they will give it to you for free WHILE you are still at the hospital .. but afterwards will charge you a small "processing" fee ...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 10:18:35 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:42:13 am »
It may also be called a procedure or operative report.  I just got copies of mine last week, and I'm really glad I did.  It included two pages of dictated notes from each surgeon, plus additional pages documenting everything else that happened in the OR (nurses in/out, equipment used, etc.). 

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 08:21:06 pm »
and you might need to check with medical records with the hospital instead of your doctors office to get it.
Does make for some interesting reading...they did a sacrifice on my vestibular nerve...they've yet to tell me what type of dance they did and if they had to offer up a virgin or a chicken  LOL ;D

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 07:06:14 am »
My doc's office just pulled them up on the computer and printed them out for me. There was A LOT of medical jargon and I spent quite a bit of time in front of my computer looking up all the big words. It was a very interesting read. I learned that my tumor was a bleeder.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 08:27:31 am »
Did your Dr. get offended when you asked for the record? Like you were checking up on him or something?

krbonner

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 11:56:06 am »
Did your Dr. get offended when you asked for the record? Like you were checking up on him or something?

I would hope the doctor wouldn't be offended!  I've always gotten copies of all my MRI films, test results, reports, audiology exams, and anything else that's documented so I always have my own copies if I ever need to show them to another doctor.  It's your absolute legal right to have copies of all this stuff.  And depending on how big your doctor's practice is, you may have to go through a Medical Records department so your doctor would never even know you requested it!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 01:15:11 pm »
Hey Batty--In true West Indian fashion, mine used a goat. My request.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

FlyersFan68

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 01:33:47 pm »
I recently had my records faxed and was extremely interesting reading. I knew when and how most of the procedure was performed. I wanted to have everything in case my surgeon relocates one day or if I decide to go elsewhere should another problem arise. DEFINITELY make sure you follow through with this!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 10:07:48 am »
I asked my Dr about this yesterday and he said I can get this my calling the Medical records department at the hospital. He referred to them as "Operative Notes." My question is ... Is there anything else I should get a copy of? Any point in getting a copy of my whole medical record? Would the operative notes be right in there anyway?

FlyersFan68

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 10:12:45 am »
That was it..."Operative Notes". Who knows where these doctors will be in 20 years. Maybe even retired. Twenty years for guys like us only puts us in our late 40's or 50's.

krbonner

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 12:06:12 pm »
I asked my Dr about this yesterday and he said I can get this my calling the Medical records department at the hospital. He referred to them as "Operative Notes." My question is ... Is there anything else I should get a copy of? Any point in getting a copy of my whole medical record? Would the operative notes be right in there anyway?

I requested copies of the Operative Report, Pathology Report (which was also interesting reading), discharge summary (my PCP wanted a copy of this), radiology reports, lab results (a good bloodwork baseline if anything ever comes up in the future), and audiology reports.  But I personally like having cpies of all this stuff so if it's ever needed in the future I don't have to go through the effort of getting it at that point.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

tcrnko

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 12:41:25 pm »
You might also ask for a copy of the hospital record, nurses notes, etc for your stay after surgery.  These also can have information on how you tolerated anesthesia, the ICU experience, etc.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

KatyB

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 08:15:39 pm »
Hi - as a medical transcriptionist by profession and also one who has been through AN surgery, I can tell you to definitely get a copy of all of your records.  I type these things day in and day out and I was still surprised by some things in my op report.  And like someone else said, you may need it someday when those doctors are long gone.  It's also a good idea to keep your original MRI and the most recent one.  These records are yours and no one should give you a hard time about getting copies.
3 years postop for 1.3 cm at House with Drs. Luxford and Schwartz