Author Topic: Wait Time Between Consultation and Surgery at House  (Read 3607 times)

Richardspengler

Wait Time Between Consultation and Surgery at House
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:30:45 am »
Hi All,
As you can see from my other post about after surgery care if you have surgery at House but live out of state I am leaning towards having my surgery at House.  One concern I have which is not based on anything other than an anxiety that is growing inside me is how far out does a surgery get scheduled at House (i.e., backlog?)?  I know every case is different and if your AN is pressing on your brainstem you are a higher priority than someone who has a small AN with limited symptoms.  I am in the middle category.  Medium size AN not pressing on my brainstem but is touching my facial nerve and my AN has progressed to a point that I am having balance issues, numbness on my face, fatigue and just overall feelings of not being well.  So, having to wait an extended period of time which to me probably means over four to six weeks will put me in a tough position from the standpoint of making a decision about going with House.

As I said this anxiety is not based on any factual information just made up in my head  :) .  I will be overnighting my MRI and other info to House for delivery tomorrow (12/1/16) so I will probably know a lot more by next week but in the interim:

If you had surgery at House what was the time between when you sent your info to House and your surgery date?  Also, was your case considered "urgent" or would you consider yourself in my "middle" category?

Thanks for all the insight everyone provides!!  This discussion forum is such a blessing.
Richard
==================
MRI on 11/21/16 revealed AN on right side of 1.8 x 2.4 x 2.0 cm
Symptoms:  facial numbness, tinnitus, "brain fog", fatigue and general unwell feeling

Retrosig surgery at USC with Dr Freidman on Dec 13, 2016
SSD on right, facial weakness

ccooper

Re: Wait Time Between Consultation and Surgery at House
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:48:35 pm »
In June I overnighted my MRI, had a phone consultation two days later but I had called in advance to tell them it was coming and I needed an urgent consultation due to size and brain stem pressure. I had a surgery scheduled for less than three weeks later! But I don't think their normal schedule is far off from that. I've read a week or so for a consultation and a month or so for surgery. Good luck!
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 11:05:28 am »
I had my consultation with Dr. Schwartz before Thanksgiving and explained how my trigeminal pain was keeping me up at night and was agonizing.  I am having the surgery next Monday, the 12th of December.

mroker

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:42:38 pm »
After having my consultation with Schwartz I had my surgery scheduled for about 3 weeks later due to a cancellation. However I didn't push to get it sooner.
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:41:04 pm »
I wish you well. 3 cm is a biggie.  Schwartz is not a smooth, touchie-fee lie kind of guy, which I actually prefer. I have the feeling that what comes out of his mouth is truth, and that he is not patronizing me. 

My surgery happened one week ago tomorrow. I'm sure I'm older than you, but am walking around quite well today, staying with my husband at Seton Hall and walking to the hospital cafeteria unaided for breakfast. I'm so glad I came here. All the best to you. If you have any questions, ask them in the next few days and I'll answer when I can get to the wifi room.  There are some excellent postings about Seton on this site, I read carefully and found excellent advise.

mroker

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 03:54:25 pm »
Completely agree with Sharapov. Schwartz isnt about to coddle you. He tells it like it is. I had my surgery for a 3.0 cm on Nov 8th and besides the numbness I feel almost like I haven't had surgery (only had headaches one day, most likely due to withdrawal from steroids). House is real good.
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.