Author Topic: AN micro-surgery twice  (Read 2200 times)

gghaleb

AN micro-surgery twice
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:54:50 am »
Dear Members,
I've discovered an 3 cm left side AN in 2011 and I had a first micro-surgery to remove it. only a small residual piece was left by the doctors in order to keep the facial nerve. no facial weakness, nothing.
I had 2 MRIs on the 3rd month and after 1 year, everything was fine.
I had no MRIs for the following years...
in April 2016, i felt some tickling on my face and sometimes some light headache..I had an MRI.
The tumor has grown back to a 3 cm volume again.. I had a second operation: they removed all the tumor this time.
a MRI the second day showed no sign of the tumor as well as another MRI on 3 months..
This time I had a slight facial paralysis, my face was fine at rest but when i talk it is obvious..
I tape my eye closed when sleeping and i apply lubricants around the clock.
It has been 6 months since my operation,I am starting to smile and my face is gaining its movement but there is still a lot to reach the normal state.. I am happy with that so far and i hope it will improve.
Guys, MRIs are a must as I could've prevented that 2nd surgery in case I had more MRIs after my first surgery..I could've discovered a slight regrowth and done some radiotherapy for the tumor..
I wish you all "good and fast recovery", if anyone knows anything about: How could an AN case affect your chances to immigrate(because immigration procedures involve medical exams and questions), please advise.
Thanks

ANSydney

Re: AN micro-surgery twice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:47:50 pm »
Thanks for the heads up gghaleb. Yes, I think once you've been diagnosed, a yearly (6 months the first time) MRI is part of life. This applies regardless of treatment; microsurgery, radiosurgery or wait&watch.

I'm a little concerned about gadolinium compound use every time. I wonder if a T1 weighted MRI (without gadolinium contrast medium) is suitable.