Author Topic: Surgery with House, November 8th  (Read 2901 times)

mroker

Surgery with House, November 8th
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:24:10 am »
Hi All, finally posting here. Hope this is the right area. I have just had surgery with Dr. Slattery and Schwartz on November 8th. It was a 3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm and was removed via translab after being under for about 9 hours.

Everything went as expected. When I woke up I saw Dr. Stephan greet me and ask me to move parts of my face, tongue and checked what I felt. He said everything checked out and I felt everything on my face and could move fine. Hours after that, and getting out of ICU I noticed that the right side totally went numb. Throat, cheeck, tongue, forehead, the right side.

Dr. Slatter and Stephen explained that it should come back (sensation) but may take time. in terms of the balance and everything else I am doing great. I am walking a lot and don't really have much issues with that. I cannot hear on my right side (knowing that going in) but honestly it does not bother me. I also have some tinnitus but so far it really is manageable.

I guess the main concern and question is in asking if anyone had the whole numb thing and if there is a good chance it will heal. The house doctors are geniuses and they handled me greatly, just asking for more opinions from persons who had had the surgery.

Right now I am starting to feel a little bit of pain in the right ear and right side of my tongue (which is the sensation feel like its coming back).

All in all for having such a big tumor i would highly recommend HEI and St.Vincent's. They were fantastic and handled me with care.
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.

caryawilson

Re: Surgery with House, November 8th
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:32 am »
Are you still able to move your face and the main symptom is numbness?

Either way, this is common from the many stories I have read on this site.  Since it was all working after the surgery, I would assume the issue is due to swelling after the surgery.  Excellent chance this will heal, but may take some time.  I believe numbness is due to swelling against the trigeminal nerve.  If you have also lost facial movement, this would be due to swelling against the facial nerve.

As for tinnitus this is a common symptom for me, but like you, I don't let it bother  me (can be really loud some days).
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

mroker

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:42:05 am »
Are you still able to move your face and the main symptom is numbness?

Either way, this is common from the many stories I have read on this site.  Since it was all working after the surgery, I would assume the issue is due to swelling after the surgery.  Excellent chance this will heal, but may take some time.  I believe numbness is due to swelling against the trigeminal nerve.  If you have also lost facial movement, this would be due to swelling against the facial nerve.

As for tinnitus this is a common symptom for me, but like you, I don't let it bother  me (can be really loud some days).

Thanks for responding! Yes, facial movement is fine and yes the main symptom is numbness. Time I can handlle, just would love it to come back.
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »
I had sections of my face numb before surgery. It persisted after surgery but gradually improved. My AN side tongue is still numb and I still  get intermittent tingling in my face, but what remains of the symptoms just became less noticeable with time, I just got used to it. Improvement in AN surgery complications can take time, but most everyone at least improves if not normalizes.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017