Author Topic: Age and Microsurgery  (Read 3555 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Age and Microsurgery
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:05:34 pm »
Most of you that have had microsurgery are young (by my standards.)  Is there anyone that has had this surgery out there who's my age (74?)  I'm a healthy old broad, with a good heart and lungs and I walk 5 - 10 miles a day, but.......let's face it, I'm old.  I guess I'll get this info from the surgeon, but I'm just curious and want to get a little info before my appointment.  I know most people over 65 are steered toward gamma knife or cyberknife, but that won't work for my purposes.

ANSydney

Re: Age and Microsurgery
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:00:10 pm »
Hi sharonov, at your tumor size I would examine all my options, but if there is no growth ... why do anything?

Radiosurgery is less traumatic that a craniotomy and your tumor size is well suited to radiation.

In any case, explore all the options before acting.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 07:06:46 am »
For what it is worth ..... I had two AN surgeries after the age of 65 and did well both times.  Obviously, I was screened with lab tests, EKG, and chest x-ray beforehand, but no problems.  This needs to be determined on a case by case basis.  A 74-year-old body is not as "old" in 2016 as it was in 1916!

If you have clearance, in otherwise good health, and your doctor gives the OK, age should not be the determining factor.

Just my opinion .....  :)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:32:53 am »
Hi sharonov, at your tumor size I would examine all my options, but if there is no growth ... why do anything?

Radiosurgery is less traumatic that a craniotomy and your tumor size is well suited to radiation.

In any case, explore all the options before acting.

Hi--Thanks for responding.  I never thought I'd have the surgery, but my tumor is pressing on my trigeminal nerve, causing excruciating pain that can only be relieved by taking LOTS of meds that leave me a zombie.  Hence my quest for relief.  Trigeminal Neuralgia, to give you an idea of the pain level, has been called the "suicide disease."

Jet747

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 01:21:16 pm »
Sharonov,

I'm not sure where in Chicago you are located but I highly recommend a consultation with Dr. George Bovis operating out of Lutheran General in the Brain and Spine Center, Park Ridge, IL.

He is an amazing surgeon and performed my RS 18 months ago.

Good luck and I wish you full relief!!!

Cheers,
Jet
RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0