Author Topic: Need peeps advice!  (Read 10481 times)

tugnutt

Re: Need peeps advice!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »
Thanks Amz 569!! I saw the doctor a few days ago, he is pleased with the healing process, but there is no way to know if the nerve will make the muscle  move (for about 3 months), so we are on wait and see.  Would like to hear from others about their gracilis muscle flap to masseter nerve transfer!  Careyawilson's input was very helpful, if others have experience, I'd love to know. I feel good, and now the bruising and swelling isn't so extreme, I am OK going out in public.

My next journey  - resume the search for help with a scleral lens! Let's hear from you about Jackie Diehls!

tugnutt

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:32 pm »
A second update:  I have movement! I clenched my teeth today - a reaction to something I was irritated about at work - and I thought I felt movement on my left cheek.  Ran to the ladies room, and checked in the mirror - it's not much, but there is MOVEMENT! I am 12 weeks out of the surgery.  I see Dr Boahene April 25, I can't wait!

I a thrilled!! Between this improvement, and my scleral lens, things are really so much better.

ANSydney

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 10:02:30 pm »
Congratulations tugnutt. That's a great sign. Keep us informed.

vickieastwood

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »
Tugnutt, how are you doing after your gracilis flap surgery? Are you pleased with it? I am scheduled at Johns Hopkins with Dr Byrne next Tuesday 8/8. Any suggestions or advice for me? Thanks in advance!

tugnutt

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 12:52:06 pm »
Sorry my update on the gracilis flap surgery is so late!  Dr Boahene did the surgery January 9 2017, I felt the first twinge of movement April 5 (earlier than expected).  Shortly after that, I could smile when I clenched my teeth (the muscle is attached to the masseter nerve which is used for chewing).  About 3 weeks later, no need to clench the teeth, I can smile!! Better control of my diction (as reported by my co-workers) and can FINALLY drink a beer from a glass... at least most the time.  I also have a scleral lens from Boston Sight Foundation, such an improvement over the one constantly blurry eye.  Bionic?  I think so!  Just remarkable options for returning to a more normal life.  My single deficit that I haven't addressed is hearing.  I know there are options out there, what are you wearing for it?
Also, thanks to everyone here and on FB that encouraged me!  It's been a tough road but very worthwhile!