Author Topic: Facial Symptoms in Cold Weather  (Read 3192 times)

Greece Lover

Facial Symptoms in Cold Weather
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:35:16 pm »
I'm almost 6 months out from from Mid-fossa.  Everything went well.  I had temporary facial weakness that resolved in a couple weeks.  Recently I have been having some symptoms when out in the cold.  I live in Iowa and it hasn't been too cold yet, but I walk to work and after 30 minutes out in weather in the upper 30s, the vision in my AN side eye gets blurry.  I also feel like some mild facial weakness returns in the cold. 

Anyone else experienced this? My doctor told me today its likely from the facial nerve still healing, and he said it could still improve, but that the time frame would be on a moths/year type of scale.

thanks!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

InnerGrace

Re: Facial Symptoms in Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:52:11 am »
Hey Micah!  It sounds like you are doing great!  I am as well.  As you may remember, I have the facial paralysis.  It is improving daily but I do find on certain occasions, I have taken a couple steps back.  It only lasts for a couple of days or so than the next time I see improvement, it's greater than what it is was before.  However, now that the colder weather is setting in here in PA, I also have noticed that if I am actually outside for an extended period of time, which doesn't happen often..lol  (however, it's our trick or treating tonight and it's going to be mighty cold..) my face "freezes" up..lol  Literally.  lol  Like my smile that has been coming back around, kinda freezes and doesn't "smile" as much...  So I think your doctor is pretty spot on.. it really does sound like what is going on.  As far as the blurriness in your eye, that I cannot be exact as my eye on my AN side is always blurry as I still have to wear ointment in it.... 6 months is still fairly early for the healing process...even if it's something we can't see.....I have to keep telling myself that as I start experiencing new weird things.  I'm having weird sensations/noises in my ear just starting the other day.  I am assuming it's all part of the healing process and unique to me.... :)  Glad to hear you are doing well!
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...

Greece Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:15:50 pm »
Glad to hear your symptoms are slowly getting better!  I haven't been on here much, probably because I've been doing so well!  I hope this cold thing slowly goes away, because I love the cold weather. Although, I guess if it just happens then gets better when I warm up, as long as its not a long term concern, I can deal with it!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Kristena

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:01:24 am »
A blurry eye could be a sign of dryness. Try some eye drops a few times a day, or increase them if you are already using drops. Colder air usually means drier air, and it can get pretty windy this time of year too. Best of luck with your continued healing!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!