Author Topic: Best Surgeons & ENT docs in Wash DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia & New York City  (Read 5249 times)

cedmonds

Hi, I am newly diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma and would like to get a second opinion as well as get a good surgeon lined up. For now, I am in watch and wait status. Does anyone know of good doctors/surgeons in the Washington DC region as well as Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City?

Blw

Went to UVA with Dr. Jason Sheehan. Outstanding.

bethtretrault

I saw Dr Broaddus and Dr Coelho at MCV in Richmond. I'd recommend them. They are a bit further south then you wanted but MCV neurosurgical unit was great!
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

stacey4574

Hi and welcome- there is a lot of good information here.  I am 6 weeks post op with Dr. Michael Sisti at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC.  He is an amazing surgeon and his bedside manner and staff are also just as impressive.  He does about 2 of these surgeries/ week so he is the BEST!
2.5cm AN diagnosed 7-14-16
Currently meeting neurosurgeons to decide on surgery date

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
Went to UVA with Dr. Jason Sheehan. Outstanding.

Yes indeed!

Dr. Jason Sheehan and staff at UVA are most excellent.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

v357139

Two teams in NYC that have gotten very good results are Dr Roland/Golfinos at NYU and Dr Selesnick/Gutin at Sloan Kettering.  I have also heard that in Philadelpha, the Jefferson Hospital is very good for ANs.  Good luck.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

caryawilson

I went to John Hopkins in MD and loved the experience.  My case was NOT simple, so John Hopkins was amazing with the surgery and follow-up surgeries to help re-animate my face, since I lost my facial nerve:
Neurosurgeon: Dr. Lim
ENT: Dr. Kerry
Facial Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Boahene
Oculoplastics: Timothy McCulley

As I learned, the very large AN (mine was 4.5 cm), will normally result in complications which require a full compliment of doctors to help improve the conditions.  The AN removal was the most complex surgery (17 hours), but I then required (3) five hour surgeries (nerve grafts to reanimate face, (1) twilight two hour surgery (lower eye lid tightening and new gold weight in eyelid), and one local anesthesia (gold weight in eye lid).

4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene