Author Topic: Facial nerve damage  (Read 3455 times)

JLR

Facial nerve damage
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:50:37 pm »
Ok so now I'm worried about facial nerve damage. Would appreciate comments. Having surgery 2.5 weeks retrosig. Thank you !!!!! Joan aka JLR

Citiview

Re: Facial nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:19:51 pm »
Hi Joan
I'm sorry for your troubles. It's difficult to read such tough stories. I'm not in the same place as you and I don't have a lot of experience. My rule of thumb is if I'm unsure about doing something, I just don't do it. Perhaps something doesn't feel right to you. Maybe you need more time or more opinions. I'm at the point that if something doesn't feel right or seem OK, I don't stop to figure it out, I just go with my instinct and avoid the situation. You can always re-evaluate your situation later, but if you proceed and are unsure, then you can't go backwards. Maybe another MRI in a few months would be a good idea? How do they know it really grew?
I've taught my kids that principle. If you feel uncertain about something you just don't do it.

JLR

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 06:31:27 pm »
Thanks but the MRI clearly shows growth of tumor and shows it leaning on the trigeminal nerve.

Citiview

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:39:04 pm »
I can understand your concerns. The question you are asking yourself is "will I be better off after the surgery and can I live with the risks and the results?" Only you can evaluate that.

I'm just saying that you need to be sure in your own mind that it's the right decision for you.

Best wishes. I'm thinking of you.

LakeErie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:56:20 pm »
Your signature has no info such as size of your tumor or experience of the surgeon. Facial nerve injury is possible with any surgery or surgeon, but may be less with smaller tumors and very experienced surgeons. Most surgeons opt for subtotal resections if necessary to preserve facial nerve function. The facial nerve is a resilient one. After my surgery I was House - Brackmann Grade II (mild facial weakness) and it resolved in a few weeks. Have you asked your surgeon about his/her particular experience with AN resection complications? Or how he/she will deal with any facial weakness post surgery? Facial nerve injury is the number one concern of AN surgical patients and with good reason. All anyone can do is select a physician you have confidence in. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017