Author Topic: Retro with cavitron  (Read 4363 times)

Bomberman

Retro with cavitron
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:51:43 am »
Hello,

Dr. Sisti from Columbia planned to use a cavitron to liquify the tumor and suck it out from the middle of the tumor over a few hours. I saw some videos of retro surgery online but I didn't see any of them using the cavitron yet. They all used sharp or blunt dissection techniques. I think when I talked with Dr. Selesnick he also alluded to using the cavitron as well.

Has anyone had this procedure done before and does anyone have any information on this?

Thank you.

I also did a search on "cavitron" in the forums and it came back with no results.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:20:39 am by Bomberman »

Bomberman

Re: Retro with cavitron
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 07:23:08 am »
I just found out that the full name for cavitron was:
Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator (CUSA)

JLR

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:40:04 pm »
Hi I'm having surgery with Selesnick and Stieg.  No mention of that system.  Can I ask why you chose Sisti over Selesnick? My surgery is in November. Thanks very much, JLR

Bomberman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:27:05 am »
Hi I'm having surgery with Selesnick and Stieg.  No mention of that system.  Can I ask why you chose Sisti over Selesnick? My surgery is in November. Thanks very much, JLR

This may be my biased opinion, but the way Selesnick put it was that he did not want to attempt to save my hearing, however Dr. Sisti did.

Bomberman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:47:40 am »

I would also like to add that Dr. Sisti is more conservative than most surgeons in how much tumor he cuts out based on the nerve monitoring signals. One user here rm516 who had about 1/3 of the tumor left behind but he was still able to hear. He will get it to within GK range and allow at least 10 years of watch and wait before GK. I'm confident with GK afterwards if there is continued regrowth, as it is the gold standard for radiation. His conservative algorithm is what I would look for in my decision making.

May I ask why you would choose Dr. Selesnick?